Has anyone toyed with Facial Recognition using Kinect?

I’ve spent 30 years searching for that operating manual for 3 different releases of wife and have yet to find one that worked.

3 Likes

Interesting. The app says it’s compatible with the Apple Watch in the App Store.

Edit: sorry, didn’t catch that we’re referring to ibeacons.

Right, we’ve had a watch app for a while that would let you hit a routine widget on the watch, but the new question is whether the watch can pick up an Ibeacon or not.

Keep an eye on Netatmo Welcome Camera. It has impressive facial recog. They have an API and IFTTT coming out soon. Also keep any eye on Simplicam.

I can’t believe you got a wife that wasn’t compatible with ST. When I ordered my first Echo there was a glitch in Wife 1.0 but it was quickly resolved. When the second Echo arrive the glitch came back and I had to do a software reboot. The ordering of ST V2 almost caused a complete system crash in Wife 1.0. But with some rebooting and a couple of bling upgrades Wife 1.0 quickly acclimated to the home automation. I have upgraded from Wink to ST V2 and luckily I don’t have to upgrade to Wife 2.0

Despite the “three strikes and you’re out rule”, I can say that wife V4 is the ticket, but I had to sort through 4 different manufactures to hit V4… :innocent:

1 Like

I’ve been running V4 for 15 years and while it definitely has its share of bugs, it is still far more stable than V1-3.

2 Likes

V1: manufacturer denied warranty claim
V2: Unable to operate UI
V3: Preferred operating system no longer supported

2 Likes

I’ve never gotten double tap to work on 3 way light switches. It seems like the main switch is iffy and the slave works 90% of the time.

I’m probably better off installing the App on my wife phone and giving her a widget to put the house in manual mode. Getting her to carry an iBeacon with her is not going to fly.

Just have her implanted with a RF chip to track her. Probably have to do it in her sleep so she won’t get suspicious .

1 Like

I have always resorted to updating apps on missus’s iPhone and iPad when she goes to sleep. She figured it out… And now password protected. :wink: remember the ad about the password being the wedding anniversary? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No one seems to have asked yet but what is causing her frustration? Perhaps we can help with that?

I guess some GF/wives are more forgiving, my GF walked into the kitchen last night, Wink took approximately 31 seconds to turn on the light… She just laughs :smiley:

This problem was related to the new software release, the lighting wizard, and user error. I thought the wizard said, when contact is open turn light off if open for 10 minutes. It was actually saying after contact opens wait 10 minutes and then turn light off.

In this case the light is a smart outlet that is connected to a baby monitor, so any time you opened the door the monitor would turn off 10 minutes later. What I was trying to do is turn the monitor off if the door was open for more than 10 minutes. This way we aren’t running it unless the baby is sleeping. A mother gets very angry when she can’t monitor her child apparently. I tried to rationalize that a monitor is just a convenience and that parents survived monitoring their children with their ears for a long time. That didn’t go over well either. lol

I really need the wife manual.

1 Like

It’s my understanding that the wife manual was destroyed in Pompeii.

1 Like

I treat HA in my home the same way I do IT systems: test everything in a non-production environment first. My home office fills this need. Nobody uses the room but me, so it’s full of all sorts of barely-working devices and hacky integrations with other HA platforms.

Things that work reliably move into the rest of the house. Things that don’t work or aren’t 100% reliable stay here. Of course, this acts as a filter that results in the automation in my office becoming worse and worse over time, but that’s fine because it’s all stuff I still want to hack on. The other result is that while I don’t push a lot of actual automation into the rest of the house, what does wind up there works pretty reliably and as a result is generally well-received.

It’s not always practical to buy multiple devices since I don’t have an unlimited budget. Most of my outlets are wired so I’d have to remove them after testing or buy multiple. My wife understands this and after a brief period of frustration she excepts the risk.

You don’t really need multiple devices for this to work. Set it up somewhere where your wife won’t be using it first, then let it do it’s thing for a month or two. Only then do you move the device into an area where it will be used by her. This won’t require a full time test/dev environment (although that can be helpful too). Using a staged release approach in HA really helps manage user perception of the value your purchases are bringing into the home. Let her see the cool stuff once it’s working and reliable, hide the warts so only you get to see them.

I appreciate your suggestions, but there really isn’t a problem here. My post was to see if anyone has played with facial recognition and the kinect. I added the thing about my wife because I found it humorous, not because it was causing animosity in my house.

1 Like

@keo - look at ispyconnect or BlueIris. You want the camera to connect to Keylemon or something similar. There are a lot of facial recognition packages with professional CMS/NVR solutions. I have mine setup so that the cameras trigger simulated motion sensors, which is great.

The one thing I love and hate about smartThings is its flexibility. Now I have more to research and understand. LoL

2 Likes