Harmony Smart Control vs Harmony Home Remote Control - Difference?

Was it on sale for $119? Damn!

so there was an update for harmony but no fix for Smartthings, still cant add it to the hub…I think they broke it on purpose as they are making their own hub :wink:

That thing is for the older models with the hub.

The model with the term “Home” in them are the ones having issues. Like Ultimate Home (Ultimate joke!)…

I don’t think so looks like they are trying to cut Smartthings and do their own Zwave integration. Says it compatible with Home products which means this will have the zwave and zigbee chips. Hopefully smartthings will step their game up

Harmony Home Hub Extender makes it possible to control more home devices than ever with expanded ZigBee® and Z-Wave Plus™ compatibility.
COMING SOON

Additional Requirements:
Required for setup: Harmony Ultimate Home, Harmony Home Control, Harmony Home Hub, Harmony Ultimate, Harmony Smart Control, Harmony Smart Keyboard or Harmony Ultimate Hub

Unless I am totally wrong… That page has forever been there for older remotes with hub.

Harmony Home Hub Extender integrates ZigBee® and Z-Wave Plus™ compatible devices with your existing Harmony Hub, so you can include them in your programmed schedules and Activities for enhanced home control.

For customers wanting even more control, Logitech also introduced the Logitech Harmony Hub Extender. The Extender enables additional compatibility of the Logitech Harmony Home Hub, controlling lights, locks, sensors, garage doors and other devices operating through ZigBeeÂŽ or Z-WaveÂŽ. The Logitech Harmony Hub Extender is expected to be available for a suggested retail price of $129.99.

Wow…After spending 349.99 plus taxes. Am I going to spend a penny more on their product? High hopes.

Sorry Ron, but you’re wrong on this one. The Home Hub Extender was announced at the same time as the Home series of hubs and remotes (i.e. last year). It was originally meant to be released before the end of last year, as was the firmware upgrade for the older hubs to bring them up to parity with the Home series. Unfortunately its taking Logitech longer than they expected on both fronts.

I bow my head and embarassed and I am sure I am wrong! Hard lesson learnt no more Logitech remotes which touts HA. :slight_smile: mouse is ok! There’s a harmony old Hub/remote i(not Home) n my car which I intended to return and never got to it… :frowning:

I am so totally losing it these days and can’t focus on anything at all. These days it’s only Cricket World Cup 2015 for me!!!

1 Like

@kevintierney Thanks a lot. I tried it and the work around is pretty good. There was hardly any delay. As long as it works like this i am happy.thanks for sharing!!

Did anyone apply this work around for ultimate home??

I do, works awesome, no more spoiled 12 year old leaving for the park during the day and me seeing the tv and lights on, woot! bonus, they’re on when i walk in the door so i can go right to making my friday beverage

It appears that Smart Control’s new firmware now supports IFTTT and thus SmartThings integration. Given this, anyone have an opinions on differences between Smart Control and Home products? Is Home still worth the premium (albeit not by much) cost?

2 Likes

I don’t have the smart control, but I think the major difference would be having the dedicated home automation buttons on the remote. Both should have the same level of control by ST

Home Control

Smart Control

1 Like

I have added reciepes to turn off and on my tv however alexa isnt seeing the harmony hub at all. I even have activities in smt2 hub and tried it that way alexa simply doesnt see them. What am i doing wrong

Alexa has no direct integration with Harmony. So you can either use IFTTT to say something like “Alexa, trigger turn on the tv” to which Alexa will reply “sending that to IFTTT”. You’ll then need a IFTTT recipe to start your tv activity in the harmony hub linked to your IFTTT account when it receives the phrase “turn on the tv”. Or you could skip IFTTT and create a momentary virtual switch in SmartThings that runs your tv activity in the harmony hub that was discovered by SmartThings. You’d need to expose that SmartThings switch to Alexa via the SmartApp or Alexa app and then control it via the “Alexa, turn on the < name of virtual switch >” command.

I know I’m a year too late but this had me chuckling because this happened to me just two weeks ago…except that I did NOT have the Harmony Home remote at the time and it was a massive headache. My wife was unable to get the DISH Hopper DVR working (it turns out that she had pressed the “TV” button on the DVR remote and tried to control the DISH content instead of the “SAT” button). Afterwards, she complained having too many remotes made it too complicated (three in all, one for the TV, one for the DVR, and one for our AV receiver)…I’ve been seriously debating getting a Home Hub ever since! :smile:

Sorry for jumping on this old (longish) thread, but as of right now (4/2016) can you control the Harmony Smart Control hub with Smartthings or not?

I now have both this as well as the Harmony standalone hub (which I’m thinking is the one that CAN be controlled) but rather than waste my time trying to get it working (the Smart Control one) I’d rather return it if I can’t control it via ST.

I have both and they both integrate and work well.

Okay, but just to be clear – what I have read is the Smart Control one doesn’t have wi-fi. If that’s true, then how can ST control it? (What I read online is that it only has bluetooth and IR).

If you’re telling me that’s not true I guess I’ll go ahead and set it up, then (I’ll know for sure during setup because it will have to connect to the home network).

Mine has WiFi. There really is no difference between the hubs once fully updated, the real difference is between the physical remotes.