Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan controller

get a wall remote from HD and use it to turn off reverse, better yet, install it in the room for control

Yes I have two more 60 with shipping? I have a Venmo account if that works for you.

I just joined this community.
Can someone tell me, based on all the Hampton Bay, Home Decorator fan threads …
Is there, in fact, a way using Smartthings to control it?
I see no brand logo.
And I am migrating from WiNK

I have two fans with this controller. All you need is the custom device handler. It interfaces with SmartThings easily. My home has both Alexa and Google Assistant and it works with them also.
I also purchased a remote that mounts where the wall switch was. It is not wired to anything. It is just another remote in a wall mount package.

Sorry, “custom device handler”???
I may have the same remote you refer to?
See attachment.

The remote to the right.

Read this thread:

Yes. That is the same wall remote I have.
For me this was a steep learning curve. I will only confuse you. Once you understand the IDE it will be easier.

I have OCP. The misaligned screw heads …

The remote you are using doesn’t matter as it’s an RF dumb remote and has no impact on the “smart” portion of the system. Think of it as a backup. The controller in the fan accepts both RF and Zigbee input.

To control via SmartThings, you’ll need to install a custom device handler (a non default handler or driver that is not provided from SmartThings). Do a quick Google search on how to install SmartThings custom device handlers, then read the post I linked to above.

I know it’s dumb … like me … someone else mentioned it so I thought maybe they rigged up something to attach to it?

Again, what is a “custom device handler”???

Why could you not have added a link or told me HOW to add a custom device handler?

I found How do I add a custom device handler? and that is Greek to me.

Perhaps you can WALK me through it?

• Add what, device? then ? then? then?

Where do I find the Device Handler? What is / where is this IDE thing?

I’m pretty sure that the controller (receiver that mounts in the canopy) that comes with the wall remote is RF only, no Zigbee radio.

I think you will need to purchase the Wink enabled fan controller from Home Depot and swap out the receiver in the canopy before you will be able to add your fan to ST. You can still use the wall remote with this new controller as it is both RF and Zigbee. It also comes with a handheld RF remote too.

I remember discussions about people buying the wall remote and having to throw away the receiver that comes with it.

Maybe this thread will help you.

Here is the fan controller you will need.

Hampton Bay Universal Wink Enabled White Ceiling Fan Premier Remote Control

Depending how far away your fan is from your hub you will probably also need to make sure you have a zigbee repeater between the fan and the ST hub.

My fan is already Wink compatible and uses the ceiling mount antenna to do its thing.

Already have that controller you pictured. .

1 Like

Your controller has 2 antennas? A long wire antenna and another antenna that looks like a “T”, and is routed outside the canopy?

Since both controllers look similar that’s why I ask.

Please read through this FAQ regarding adding custom Device Handlers.

3 Likes

By controller, I meant the hand remote. But my fan has a white T antenna coming out of it and worked with wink.
Can someone PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE walk me through it? :slight_smile:

Glad you have the right controller. The thread link was posted by @ogiewon describes the custom code and the link to the DTH (custom code) you need for the fan controller is in the following post.

2 Likes

Here is the direct link to the DTH for the fan controller.

1 Like

Been there a dozen times. It does not help.
One more time …

Add
then what?

If you can’t follow the instructions provided, then you shouldn’t be here. Seriously. You are going to have to read up. Everything you need has been pointed out. READ!

2 Likes