Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan controller

Went to Get Started Integrating …

Then … Add one now

From Template - Zwave - do not see fan there; well fan speed
From Example - do not see Hampton Bay. Home Depot, Gardineer, or Home Collection …
Getting closer?

Have you read any of the posts we pointed you to? They will give you step by step instructions on how to install the fan controller.

2 Likes

There have been so many posts, I am bewildered.
A simple answer or step-by-step answers would be SO appreciated!

The fan is not an officially supported device of Smartthings. That is why you have to jump through a few hoops to get it to work.

The posts above have the step by step you are asking for. I know that you are going on a trip, trying to hurry, and are probably frustrated but I’m going to suggest that you step back, actually read the information that everyone has pointed you to.

As for being able to install it while away, its theoretically possible if you have someone onsite to cycle the power. I would guess it would be very difficult at best being your so new to the platform.

There are too many steps for me to type them all up. That’s why everyone keeps pointing you to the posts that someone already took all the time to make.

4 Likes

So with the updates to the “new” smartthings app, verse the “classic” app. it appears some changes need to be made to this custom handler? When i look at the UI in the classic app, everything is still working as normal. But the new app has some problems with selecting the device.

When Selecting the “Light” device, it just says “can’t connect to device. Check Device and try again”.

When selecting the “Fan” Device, it connects, but just has 3 default settings. Timer, Power on, Power off. (see screenshot)

Instead of the full UI where the different levels of fan speed and light options are displayed in the classic app.

Is there any plans to update this custom handler?

This has been discussed multiple times within this thread. When ST releases all the tools and information needed to update the DTH it will more than likely be updated. Right now there are a lot of unanswered questions as to how to go about updating this DTH.

2 Likes

Got it. Tread is so big its hard to filter at this point :).

Well with the release of their new rules API, we’ll see if now is the time.

Thanks!
–Adam

1 Like

@blake.arnold
We have quite a few users that use the Hampton Bay Fan/light zigbee controller and it does not work well in the new app

Not sure if there is a Smarthings certified handler for this or if someone from the ST team can help update the handler /App for us as we are unable to figure out the changes needed to make it work in the new app. Definitely help us with a smoother transition to the new app

thanks for your help

thanks

Issue being that this DH relies heavily on custom actionable tiles to trigger commands that are then relayed to the device. The new app simply doesn’t support custom tiles.

1 Like

Hi All. I have 3 HOme Decorators fans which use the * manufacturer: King Of Fans, Inc.

• model: HDC52EastwindFan

Known as the MR101Z.

I installed with the classic app and only use the classic app or actiontiles to control. I also use the RF remote that came with the fan, this changes the status of the FAN in ST…when its working.

Before moving to ST, these were very stable with WINK.

I can connect to them and they show up in the Device list however, it keep losing control…daily…within hours:

• Last Hop LQI: 152
  • Last Hop RSSI: -62
  • Received Messages From Device: 824
  • Received Messages From Device (Duplicates): 11
  • Messages Transmitted to Device: 1152
  • Messages Transmitted to Device (Failures): 55
  • Updated Time: 2020-05-16 12:13 PM EDT

I am about ready to give up and either get the BOND or wait for the Inovelli to be availble. The negative of this is that I wont have a place to use my ST Enabled WINK Relays.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You’ll need to add a Zigbee repeater (like an IKEA Trafdri outlet or dedicated repeater) in the same room as each of these fans. This is a known issue with the Hampton Bay Fan Controller module found inside these fans. This behavior is consistent across both SmartThings and Hubitat Elevation. I guess the larger Wink hub’s Zigbee antenna really made a difference.

A simple cheap Zigbee plug in the room will solve all of your problems. Sylvania, Peanut, IKEA, anything really.

Thanks I have a really good signal strength:

• Last Hop LQI: 236

• Last Hop RSSI: -41

• Received Messages From Device: 801

• Received Messages From Device (Duplicates): 4

• Messages Transmitted to Device: 1075

• Messages Transmitted to Device (Failures): 6

• Updated Time: 2020-05-16 12:24 PM EDT

• Last Hop LQI: 188

• Last Hop RSSI: -53

• Received Messages From Device: 2393

• Received Messages From Device (Duplicates): 6

• Messages Transmitted to Device: 1140

• Messages Transmitted to Device (Failures): 0

• Updated Time: 2020-05-16 12:24 PM EDT

• Last Hop LQI: 184

• Last Hop RSSI: -54

• Received Messages From Device: 844

• Received Messages From Device (Duplicates): 23

• Messages Transmitted to Device: 1182

• Messages Transmitted to Device (Failures): 82

• Updated Time: 2020-05-16 1:13 PM EDT

This last fan is in the same room as the ST HUB V3, but for some reason it bounces through a GE Zigbee lamp.

How strong is the signal that I need?

I should add two one of the fans use Zigbee mesh, one at -54 dbm uses a Zigbee Bulb ( even though the hub is literally 8 feet vertically from it) the other fan -53 Uses a Centralite plug, and the one at 041 dBm uses the Hub.

I purposly put in a second ST hub that only zigbee devices 3 Fans, 2 Centralite plugs, and one Zigbee GE Bulb connect)

Thanks Man. I added some more info. How strong is the signal you are getting to get a solid perminant connection?

Zigbee bulbs are generally just plain awful as repeaters. I’m not saying that this is the problem in your case but it very well could be.

how do i get it to stop using that bulb? it shouldnt need it the hub is so close.

1…Remove power from the hub. (if a v2 hub remove the batteries too)
2…Remove power from the bulb.
3…Wait 20 minutes
4…Power up the hub and let it rebuild the zigbee mesh
5…Wait 24 hours before turning on the bulb.

You can probably turn the bulb in sooner but I used 24 hours when I rebuilt my mesh on smartthings. Just remember, anytime you have a power outage and your hub is offline for more than 15-20 minutes, your mesh is going to rebuild and if that bulb has power, it may be use as a repeater. For reference, Sengled bulbs do not act as repeaters.

Now as for the fan, it’s been noted in a number of threads here that even fans in the same room as the hub, required repeaters to get a stable connection. The spinning fan blades can affect the signal and cause problems. I have 2 of these controllers and even with repeaters they still occasionally drop of the hub. They did this with Smartthings and I have had them do it with Hubitat too. They are really a lousy device but were the only option we had at the time.

I will probably end up replacing my controllers with the new Inovelli fan controllers if they are problem free when released.

1 Like

Thanks for your help. I think I will just go inovelli…they look slick. Maybe I will mount the relay next to it. I dunno. These fans have taken way to much of my time! Have a good weekend!

Same here…They are my most problematic devices