Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan controller

I’m pretty sure that the controller (receiver that mounts in the canopy) that comes with the wall remote is RF only, no Zigbee radio.

I think you will need to purchase the Wink enabled fan controller from Home Depot and swap out the receiver in the canopy before you will be able to add your fan to ST. You can still use the wall remote with this new controller as it is both RF and Zigbee. It also comes with a handheld RF remote too.

I remember discussions about people buying the wall remote and having to throw away the receiver that comes with it.

Maybe this thread will help you.

Here is the fan controller you will need.

Hampton Bay Universal Wink Enabled White Ceiling Fan Premier Remote Control

Depending how far away your fan is from your hub you will probably also need to make sure you have a zigbee repeater between the fan and the ST hub.

My fan is already Wink compatible and uses the ceiling mount antenna to do its thing.

Already have that controller you pictured. .

1 Like

Your controller has 2 antennas? A long wire antenna and another antenna that looks like a “T”, and is routed outside the canopy?

Since both controllers look similar that’s why I ask.

Please read through this FAQ regarding adding custom Device Handlers.

3 Likes

By controller, I meant the hand remote. But my fan has a white T antenna coming out of it and worked with wink.
Can someone PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE walk me through it? :slight_smile:

Glad you have the right controller. The thread link was posted by @ogiewon describes the custom code and the link to the DTH (custom code) you need for the fan controller is in the following post.

2 Likes

Here is the direct link to the DTH for the fan controller.

1 Like

Been there a dozen times. It does not help.
One more time …

Add
then what?

If you can’t follow the instructions provided, then you shouldn’t be here. Seriously. You are going to have to read up. Everything you need has been pointed out. READ!

2 Likes

We are going to need more information to be able to help you. If it is just a matter of adding the DTH to ST, then all of the info you need is in the posts above. There really is no reason to repost all of the steps here.

Did you add the fan DTH to ST using the IDE?

What are you seeing when you look at your fan device in the app?

Sorry to sound completely DENSE but could spell out the acronyms?

• DTH; custom code but I’ve no idea where to even find it?
  • ST is SmartThings, right?
  • IDE? Integrated Development Environment? Where is that?
    … is that in the app after I click Add ???
    I do not see any fan device in the app as I do not see any brands that correspond to the fan.
    I think you are all 5 steps ahead of me.
    I only have today to finish this off before I leave on a loooooong trip.

Hi Chez,

custom code link was provided earlier to you.

You need to sign in with your Samsung / ST account at https://graph.api.smartthings.com/
Thats the IDE environment

Anything thats not built in, is custom code (best part of ST) and helps expands the usability of the environment

Lots of guides were linked earlier on how to post the code in IDE or link it directly from the creators IDE so you can update it with one click…

Take some time, read, its not too daunting … then post more questions if needed

Best of Luck (BTW: I converted from Wink as well a couple of years back…and the forum has be awesome… )
There are threads relating to IDE and general support which may guide you better if you have questions

the App and Device handler for the fan work great in the ST classic app (not the new one) , but once installed and configured, you can use Alexa, Google Home, Action Tiles or other means (including the classic app) to control the fans and their lights. I have 4 of these devices around my home… Just reset from Wink and add here…

1 Like

Start by reading through the FAQ on custom code posted above, which I’m also linking here for your convenience:
https://community.smartthings.com/t/faq-an-overview-of-using-custom-code-in-smartthings-smartthings-classic/16772

That FAQ will explain all of those acronyms to you and walk you through the basic steps you’ll need to follow to use and implement any custom code, including the code you’ll need to use to connect your Wink fan to SmartThings.

Once you’ve read through that and have a basic understanding of using custom code, then come back and get the code and instructions specific for this device here:
https://community.smartthings.com/t/beta-v0515-hampton-bay-zigbee-ceiling-fan-light-controller/85084

1 Like

I just realized your probably using the new app, not the classic app. That’s why you can’t see a catagory for the ceiling fan. That’s still ok.

Follow the directions in the posts above to add the fan DTH into the IDE. It will be easier for you if you add the DTH first and the fan won’t work unless the DTH is installed anyway.

After the DTH is added per the instructions in the linked posts, use the “scan” button (top right in Android, I don’t know in IOS) in the “add automation” section to find your device. I am pretty sure that will work in finding your fans within the app. I added my fans using the classic app a couple years ago.

If you are using the classic app, follow the directions in the linked posts exactly.

Another stupid question.
Do I need to be on premises to get the fan controller working?
If yes, I know what I’ll be doing late tonight.

I have logged into my Samsung account … nowhere do I see the IDE on my main menu.
Where are they hiding it?

Log in with your Samsung account via a web browser at https://account.smartthings.com

Ok I see it.
Now what do I do?