Hackers infiltrate Ring cameras in Florida and Tennessee and harass children

I stumbled on this article and thought it worthy of sharing. It is most likely their logins were compromised somewhere…but people need to be careful. It would be nice to see more two-factor authentication, especially for cloud devices.

1 Like

Again, they aren’t hacking Ring’s security. They are stealing passwords or getting them off of dark sites and using those.

Due to the fact that customers often use the same username and password for their various accounts and subscriptions, bad actors often re-use credentials stolen or leaked from one service on other services. As a precaution, we highly and openly encourage all Ring users to enable two-factor authentication on their Ring account, add Shared Users (instead of sharing login credentials), use strong passwords, and regularly change their passwords.

Anyone Of any age who is going to put any security camera inside the home needs to enable two factor authentication on it and for heaven’s sake use a password manager so you aren’t reusing passwords from other sites! :scream:

5 Likes

…and ring supports two factor authentication

…as does nest:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9295081?hl=en

and wize:

1 Like

…and Arlo supports two factor authentication
Arlo two-step verification

Update:
… And SmartThings does two since I just enabled two factor authentication on my Samsung Android device’s user accounts section, and the SmartThings IDE website prompted me for the second factor when I logged in.