Thoughts on this? (Article about Ring and Privacy)

The article is overly dramatic, almost to the point of Clickbait. The videos don’t get shared unless you give permission for them.

The device’s owners must give permission to share these videos with police, but it’s also unclear how users might be compelled to share it.

The whole “be compelled” thing varies by jurisdiction, which is why it’s unclear.

And I have no idea why the author keeps bringing up “Ukraine” since the company is now owned by Amazon. :wink:. Just to make it scarier, I guess.

My take is pretty straightforward: there is no expectation of privacy in your front yard. That’s well-established in American law. If a traffic cam catches you someplace you don’t want them to see you, you’re out of luck. Doorbell cams fall into the same category.

The backyard is a somewhat different issue, and it is something you need to take into account before putting up any networked security cameras there.

As noted in the comments to the article, that particular website has never liked ring, I’m not sure why. But there’s nothing new in the article, and there’s no reason to think that ring is any worse than anybody else. (Their suggestion of going with nest instead is laughable, giving google’s general attitude towards privacy.)

If you’re really concerned, don’t get a networked security camera, or at least not one on a shared network of any kind. But I see no reason, from that article or any other source, for singling out ring as particularly bad in this regard.

Yes, they have agreements in place to share videos with police departments, but only if the individual camera owner has given permission for that. If you believe that permission is going to be violated in any meaningful way, you probably aren’t living on a street with neighbors anyway. Just sayin’… :wink:

7 Likes

Amazon ! I always stay away, and Facebook. My boss once said he was having a random conversation and then the next day all his add’s started showing what they were discussing (bouncy castle) didn’t search for it at all, so something hear him!

This type of anecdote (ads based purely on Facebook App overhearing a conversation) has gone viral and has very low likelihood of being factual.

While Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc., use your data and activities (based on the user agreement and any applicable privacy settings), any substantial violation of this would be (a) Verifiable by researchers, and (b) Immediately published by trustworthy media outlets, and © quickly result in the largest class action lawsuits known to man - quite possibly sufficient to kill the offending compan(ies).

2 Likes

Just coincidence then…

1 Like

Most likely. In fact, in several situations it’s been demonstrated that the ad has been playing on and off for a week or so before the “trigger” conversation, Although sometimes on other media. So it may be that it was the ad that brought up the consciousness of the subject in the person’s mind and that’s why they were talking about it on that particular day! :wink:

But there’s also the awareness factor. Find out that someone in your family is expecting a baby and suddenly you will notice all of the strollers in your environment as you go through your day. They were always there, they just hadn’t had the same significance to you. That’s another explanation for a lot of the “we were just talking about that!“ Anecdotes. :sunglasses:

1 Like

hummm…maybe I should start talking about getting a hot new girlfriend and see who shows up on my ring doorbell :star_struck:

8 Likes

More fuel for the Ring hate fire

Personally, I don’t believe this person was “hacked”.

That same event was previously discussed in the forum. They weren’t hacked. They weren’t using two factor authentication (it’s optional in the ring account) and they had their credentials stolen, but not from Ring. A lot of people use the same user ID/password combination in multiple accounts, so once it’s stolen, it can be reused. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Even with a compromised ID/PW, having two-factor authentication enabled would have stopped this.

The simple lesson here is:

1. Two Factor Authentication
  2. and Secure Passwords.

It still blows my mind that “password” is still one of the most common passwords after all these years.

2 Likes

Finally a legitimate and no-hype article on the subject:

2 Likes

Gizmodo is one of many tech-oriented online publications that are written by incompetent hacks and are not to be taken seriously.

1 Like

A friend of mine said she opened her ring app today and there was a pop up asking her if she wanted to turn on two factor authentication. She said it was the first time she’s seen that although she’s had the system for a while. (And, yes, my question was “you mean you didn’t have it turned on already?!” :wink: )

But she did turn it on today, so this may be Amazon’s response to the recent cases. They aren’t going to make it required, but they are going to nag people a little to remind them that they don’t have it turned on.

1 Like