Google Home and ST Color Control Bug

PSA for GH-ST-RGB Smart Light integration. The colors handed from “The Google Assitant” (Google Home) to an RGB smart bulb through SmartThings seems off in odd ways.

Tell GH to set light to Red/Green/Blue and it does fine. Ask for White and you get pink. It seems like whatever color space it’s trying to use has white heavily colored with red.

Here’s an example of the difference between a bulb changing to GH’s ‘White’ and a preset ‘White’ available in the ST color picker (The shorter one is GH, the longer one is ST). The device in question is an LIFX bulb.

Some additional info:
-v2 Hub
-Accepted color commands that show with odd colors also include, “Grey”, “Tan”, and “Brown”.
-I was originally going to post this as only about LIFX bulbs but an RGB light strip (using the FLS-PP ballast) also does this odd color behaviour.

Loving my Google Home right now, just gotta figure out what’s up with this color thing.

(12/09/2016) General Update and Work-Around for Others:
To anyone else experiencing the issue…
(e.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/lifx/comments/5bq4mr/google_home_smartthings_changing_lights_the_wrong/ )

While Google Home seems to dislike trying to set the color “White”, “Bright White” works now. Bright White previously had the red/pink tinge also but seems gone now.

I’m going to keep the direct GH->ST control as opposed to breaking out the LIFX control with IFTTT.

Odd that white is still colored wrong but I can completely avoid it now.

Are you using IFTTT for the lifx bulb?
I have GH and a v2 hub. Both IFTTT and the hub gets the color right. With IFTTT I have custom commands set to specific scenarios. SmartThings handles the random light color changes well. I just have to figure out a good way to name my bulbs. Numbers are easy to forget if you have many bulbs.

I have lifx 1000 and lifx 800 white.

No IFTTT in use; the LIFX bulbs are brought in through the LIFX (Connect) smartapp. The light strip is added under a ZLL RGBW Bulb device type. I’m thinking if I don’t hear or see any future change, I’ll switch everything over to IFTTT.

I did completely forgot to mention that the Hub does correct colors. The whites of an LIFX bulb through the ST color picker are accurate. Same for the white approximations the strip does (it’s an RGB strip vs RGBW). This all leads me to believe the error lives on the GH side of things. I directed some feedback about this through the Google Home app.

I just have LIFX Original and Color 1000 bulbs. Makes me wonder what info GH would attempt to send to a 800 White bulb.

I haven’t had that problem with Hue. However, I have my Hues connected straight to GH and not using the ST hub. I did notice that my lightify garden spots do not change color, but Google acknowledges the command.

I can say change color to green red etc for the 800, that is white only but it does nothing.
ST does not know that its a white only bulb.
red changes the color to warmer one,but thats it.
I am using IFTTT with many custom commands because room management is better this way.
I have custom commands for turning on, 3 different one for different groups and brightness. I have one for increasing to max brightness, also to turn off in the room i am in.
I just have to say a differente command.
Turn off lights goes to ST and turns everything off in the house.
I also have a good morning and a good night command in IFTTT for fading the lights accordingly.
ST smartapps for controlling lights are still active, with motion sensors etc.
GH is used only for in room lighting change. Works with IFTTT well.
With ST it works but you have to say the same command all the time with brightness color light name included.
With IFTTT custom commands I can say, Ok Google, lights off. And it would only turn off lights in my room.

My roommate has her own GH with IFTTT on her google account.
Same IFTTT applet, and if she says OK GOOGLE , lights off for her GW it only turns off her lights.
Same command different account different outcome.

I dont know why your colors are off, mine was fine with just ST and Lifx, before I started making IFTTT commands.
The only thing with ST and lifx, is you have to say long commands to specify everything, with IFTTT I can say one single word for a bunch of light changes.

I’ve all but decided for now to change over to using IFTTT.

I do want to mention again that ST and LIFX play perfectly fine together. In general, ST and any RGB light control is fine. Correct colors and everything. It’s simply when the plain GH to ST integration is used (Google Home not Google Now).

“OK Google, Make the Living Room Blue” to GH makes lights blue. Replace blue with white and then things get funky. My hangup for IFTTT will be my non-LIFX lights. I mentioned having some light strips which ST controls fine, but show the same color oddity through GH. No clue why the GH command is asking for a hue of 5 and saturation of 70 (very red) while ST correctly requests something less red and far less saturated.

General Update:

While Google Home seems to dislike trying to set the color “White”, “Bright White” works now. Bright White previously had the red/pink tinge also but seems gone now.

I’m going to keep the direct GH->ST control as opposed to breaking out the LIFX control with IFTTT.

Odd that white is still colored wrong but I can completely avoid it now.

I’ve also noticed the strange “white” color.

Any reason why we don’t have “daylight”, “soft white” settings?

Is there a list of colors that it can pick? I’ve been using the cool white color the most but would love to have daylight as an option OR just able to set the temperature of the light say 5000 etc.

BTW these are Osram Lightify BR30 RGBW

I am having the opposite problem with hue bulbs. I say ok google turn light to green and it turns it to green for a second or two and then turns to white. Happens with any color I choose with the exception of blue.

Not sure why blue is the only color that sticks.

How did u setup to random change light colors ?