Getting the hub for the first time, need recommendations

Welcome! :sunglasses:

You should be able to do everything you’re considering with any smart light (smart switch or smart bulb) that can be controlled by the smartthings hub, so I think you’re fine there.

Different things work for different people, so it really just comes down to exactly how you want to do things. I suggest you start with the device class features FAQ. It will give you a lot of good ideas about how to select a light switch or some of the other devices. The light switch discussion starts around post 40. ( this is a clickable link.)

You can also get some good ideas from looking at the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki. In particular, look in the project report section and start with the “get started” list.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section#Quick_Browse_Links_for_Project_Reports.2FQuestions

(Oh, and I moved this to the project section so you can get individualized responses based on your own needs and preferences as you get further along in your planning. :sunglasses:)

5 Likes