Getting frustrated with the Outages again

I’ve got several switches that aren’t currently responding to the app. The last several days have been pretty lousy.

ETA: “We are seeing a recurrence of issues experienced earlier today. We will update as we continue to investigate.”

ARGH!

Notification again, guys! Please no!

Yup! Just tried to add my 2 motions I got yesterday and 2 smoke detectors and still can’t. Just sits and spins then closes. :frowning: I feel bad for the it staff. I’ve been there. Servers go down and you work your ass off to get them back up. So few people realize what you have to do to get them back up.

Anddd just got the text saying instability again!

My 3 smoke/co detectors are ready for store pickup! :frowning:

This the second day in a row I’ve come home to a catatonic smart home (CA). The dashboard shows status correctly when I manually turn devices on/off, but I can’t control anything from the dashboard. Yesterday I not only had to power cycle the ST hub, but also my router before the system began responding again. Tonight I only had to power cycle the hub and it slowly but surely began responding again. What’s going on? The only thing that’s changed on my end is software: upgrades to iOS 8.1 and Yosemite on 2 Macs.

Thanks,
Dave

1 Like

It is time for all of use to make a stand. Get this solution working or compensate us for the inconvenience. Ever since Samsung became involved all has gone to _ _ _ _! I’ll let you fill in the spaces. Many of us are dependent on this cloud only solution and we can no longer trust it will work. How do we get this escalated and resolved or paid out for our investments and aggravation.

That’s why the standard target is 5 nines, not 3.

99.999% uptime. You can do the math.

I’m sure SmartThings will be happy to refund your monthly service fees on prorated basis, if you ask politely. :smile:

4 Likes

[removed as it was perceived as rude]

I agree this issue is an annoyance, but if it’s more than an annoyance for you then you should make some changes so that your setup is not so reliant on the internet and ST cloud. I also hope they continue to improve the service and am hoping for a hub 2.0 with local redundancy for basic commands.

Here are a few tips.

• Using switches and plugs that are z-wave/zigbee and also have the ability to turn on and off locally means you can still control the attached light/device with the switch/button.
  • When using Hue/GE bulbs if you turn the device they are connected to off and then on they default to on so they will come on when the power is cycled to them.
  • Be sure your locks have a keypad and probably a key.

These above tips will ensure you don’t get locked out or sit in the dark.

If you require 100% stability and reliability and compensated for failures and outages you should probably seek out a service that can provide that, be prepared to pay for it. SmartThings does not charge for it’s expensive infrastructure.

3 Likes

Here’s where I stand on this. I realize that these outages are growing pains and ST is really making good faith efforts to get them resolved once and for all. But, adw702 does have a point. He may not be paying for service but he did pay for hardware that relies on that service. The infrastructure to make it work may be expensive but that should be factored into the price of the hardware. Especially when that piece of hardware is completely useless without the back end servers.

I have only been a ST user for less than a week. I’m really trying to stick this out because I think the ST platform has the most potential of anything else out there. I’ve got to admit though that these outages aren’t instilling very much confidence in me and I have already been researching alternatives. These issues could be completely resolved in the next two days which would be awesome, but on the other token, it could be two months and i’m not sure i’m willing to wait that long.

1 Like

Oh man. I am sorry. You have had the worst week to come aboard. Well, it is only up from here!

To your (and others’) points. It is unacceptable the number and severity of the outages we have recently endured. Prior to this we have had great stretches of months without significant downtime but this last bout has been terrible. We are working very hard (check your email) on that tonight. We haven’t added much margins for the service layer into the SmartThings hub and devices but the sentiment still remains - the platform needs to be up and trustworthy. Anything less is just for hobbyists or worse. We are aiming to the be THE platform for the Internet of Things and we will be.

5 Likes

Ok
Number 1… @mattjfrank why did you remove your comment? It was right on.

Number 2 @adw702 - seriously, that was the most warped view of ST I have seen. “compensate us for the inconvenience”! I want a stable and reliable network as well, but compensate us? You are NOT playing anything for the service!!! That is like calling Sony when the playstation network was done, and telling them to compensate you.

If you don’t like the platform, GET something different! Your dollars are the way you voice your opinion. If you didn’t understand this was a cloud solution when you bought it you didn’t do you research and that is your issue. You don’t get made at Phillips if you buy a DVD player, and it doesn’t play BluRay because you didn’t read and understand what you were getting. You should have made this investment full well knowing what you were getting into. It is very annoying it is down, but “paid out for your investment.”

If you don’t like the platform, or you want to make a stand, simply unplug your hub and go down to Lowes and get an Iris system and pay the monthly fee for that and THEN you have the right to complain. If you are going to complain offer some constructive. The Samsung connection has not make it go to hell, it had just significantly slowed down new devices being integrated. I’ve been part of 3 software acquisitions and that is just what happens when a team gets acquired. It will either get a lot better with more resources, or will slowly die out. That is what we have to deal with, at least it wasn’t like Revolv and got the plug pulled as soon as the acquisition is done.

I think you really need to get a better understanding of what you invested in and the risks, or simply walk away from it.

Morgan

1 Like

Anyone else still having issues this morning after the emergency upgrade last night?? None of my Z-wave switches will turn on/off from the Mobile app or SmartApps, but they all still seem to be reporting their status correctly to the hub.

Unplug hub for a minute and then toggle each switch in the things view. Profit

Last night I left my Hub unplugged, this morning everything seems to be working except my GE Link bulb will not respond it stays on no matter what.

The only issue I had is that I was getting door notifications which should only happen in night or away mode even though it was in home mode. It went into away mode when I left this morning. I’ll see what happens in a bit when my partner gets home. I shouldn’t get door notifications then.

My night light app was still running after 6 AM EDT even thought my house went into the ‘Good Morning’ mode. And my garage did not open when I drove my kid to daycare and came back to pick up my bag for work at 7:15AM EDT. @Ben

Pull power to your hub for 1 minute,after you plug it back in go to the “things” view and toggle all your things twice. That should sync everything up. After the fallout things just need to be “resynced” so to speak.

Thnx. Will do that when get home.

Two good thing from this.

1. I sold my FortresZ and since my wife was going to kill it with my Sledge Hammer.
    And have ordered a different model which will allow me to mod the alarm town.
  2. The FortresZ siren would have turned on and I would have been sleeping on the couch. Or the rug! Lol! @jadkins, you have a Very forgiving wife!
2 Likes