GE vs Leviton z-wave fan control (2021)

Does anyone have any experience using either the GE 14297 z-wave fan control or the Leviton Decora ZW4SF-1BW fan control switches.
Looking for pros and cons.

Thanks

I have the GEs installed and they are a little confusing to operate. To change speeds, you have to hold the paddle up or down and the LED will blink to indicate which speed is being selected. I believe 1 blink is low, 2 medium and 3 blinks is high. Also, they show up as dimmers (I don’t know if this has changed) instead of distinct low, medium and high settings. I’ve had them installed for about 5 years and they have been reliable thus far. I remember being able to tell Alexa to set the fan to low, medium or high and she would but now I have to say something like 30%. Don’t know if it’s because I was using a custom DTH or if it was just in my mind. :man_shrugging:t5:

I do not have experience with the other one.

1 Like

The leviton is a 700 series ZWPlus chipset where I believe the Jasco (Ge, Honeywell, Homeseer are all OEM’s by Jasco) does not yet have a 700 chipset. The Leviton can operate with an aux switch for 3-way operation.

The 3-4 speed thing really refers to what’s on board the device itself - but it is nice to see the 4 individual LED’s for speed indication. I’ve never had an issue with how the Jasco operates - but then again i rarely touch the device itself. MOstly it’s automation or voice control.

The High, Med, Low voice thing Ron mentions is totally Amazon’s doing - sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t to refer by ‘speeds.’ It’s complex function of the device handler you use vs. what Alexa’s developers are feeling today - I could never get that part to work reliably so I just created Alexa voice routines to set speeds for the fans I was concerned about. Problem solved.

If I were buying today I’d try a Leviton and see, but I’ve got 4 of the Jasco’s right now and they’ve been rock solid since they were first installed. One of my least problematic devices, in fact. Just works.

2 Likes

As @nathancu mentions, that specific Leviton model is brand new, using the latest Z wave technology, so I don’t think too many people have tried it yet. The previous generation Leviton switch was good, but at that time much more expensive than the GE/Jasco model, so most people went with the GE. ( Honeywell is a re-brand of the GE switch. Same case, similar features.)

One other thing that some people care about and some people don’t: the GE switch has a blue indicator light and the Leviton switch has a green indicator light. this is standard for both brands in all their switch models. Some people have a preference for one color or the other and some people like to make sure all of their switches match, so just one more thing to be aware of. :sunglasses:

Also, if you intend to use Zwave direct association, that will only work well between devices at the same security level, which can introduce some complications if you have one or two devices of the newest generation and the others are older. But you don’t need to use Zwave direct association with a smartthings set up, and I would guess that most people don’t. But if you do get into any discussions about direct association, that’s another difference between these two models be aware of.

The GE switch now comes with a five year warranty, while the Leviton is two.

Both offer extra cost “color change“ kits to switch out the face plate in white, almond, brown, and black. Leviton also offers gray.

Thank you for all the feedback. I think I’m going to try the Leviton. I’ll let you know what I think.

My LED preference if off. :grin:

2 Likes

i’m pretty happy with my GE fan swiches, I just wish they supported turning the LED completely off from the app. You can turn them off with a toggle combination but that gets reset easily.

1 Like

There was a custom DTH that could set those options but ive lost track of it. Ive been trying to roll back to default DTHs as much as possible to work towards local automations. (which, BTW the default ‘ZWave Fan’ DTH provided by ST is still not local capable so if you find the custom one you won’t be missing anything at the current time except the fancy spinning fan icon in the mobile app)

Update:
I went with the Leviton Decora ZW4SF-1BW fan control switches.

They paired easily, work locally, and I can completely turn off the LED!

The app settings are Off, Low, Medium, High.

Automating with Webcore uses Off, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%.

Overall I am really happy with my choice

Update: the execution location changed from local to cloud.

3 Likes