GE/Jasco Products Power Consumption old vs new ZWave Plus?

(David P.) #1

Hi all, I am curious if anyone has tried the newer line of GE/Jasco ZWave Plus switches/Outlets?

I am specifically curious about their powers consumption. The electronics involved in the Z-Wave circuitry and relay.

I have over 30 of the original line of ZWave products and have a device (Kill-A-Watt Meter) I can use to plug in between the outlet and cord of a device to measure power consumption. I attached a power cord to my switches and outlets and found that they pretty much all steadily consume 1.5 watts of power when on or 1 watt when off.

The new Z Wave Plus line claims (on the jasco site) to use 50% less power but gives no specifics. Can anyone confirm the amount of power they draw in watts or KW/h ? I am also curious about the switches with built in motion sensors? How much power do they pull?

Thanks!

**EDITTED, My kill-a-watt meter was pulling 3 watts on its own so I originally wrote this out as 3 watts per device not the 1 and 1.5 depending on if the relay was energized or not. I ended up calculating based oon amperage draw and voltage present.

(Ron Talley) #2

Oh the irony! Started this journey to Save on my electric bill…I am now over 200 devices…

(David P.) #3

I started it to save power when my kids leave lights/fans on all over the house when they leave the room/house. In that regard its been a success. That combined with all LED bulbs has had an impact on my utility bill but I knew these were going to be about a $10 a month cost to run so many as it is :confused:

Still though, wouldn’t mind shaving that in $10 to a $5 a month cost if the GE site is to be believed.

(Eric) #4

I have also checked, not one-to-one GE but comparing Zwave and ZwavePlus plugin devices, and 1-2w, 1-2VA is typical for Zwave and ZwavePlus with no pattern. Also using KillAWatt

Right, it’s all about comparing the new Z wave devices to the devices that they replaced as far as energy savings.

With regard to the specifications, a Z wave plus chip replacing a Z wave classic chip in the same device should show right around a 45% energy draw savings. However, you will find that many manufacturers added more features to the new zwave plus models, so there’s no telling whether the new models will be more energy efficient than the old without just checking individual specs or measuring. :sunglasses:

(David P.) #6

Yeah I don’t have one to measure and only have the manufactures claim on their site that it is 50% less power consumption than the originals. See this:

Half way down it says “50% more energy efficient”

Right, but that comment is just attached to the description of the Z wave plus chip itself.

It’s not telling is whether this particular light switch is any more Energy efficient than a previous model. Just that the chip is.

On top of that, “energy efficient” is not the same as “has a lower impact on your utility bill.” A device can be more energy efficient but still draw more watts than another device.

So you need to look for the actual draw.

(David P.) #8

I guess I will have to order one. I could use a couple in-wall outlets for Christmas lights.

(David P.) #9

I amended the original post. I ended up measuring voltage and power consumption on one of these after discovering my Kill-a-watt meter registered 3 watts consumed plugged in to the wall by itself.

My findings were 1 watt draw when powered but not switched on and 1.5 watts when switched on due to the relay being energized.