GE / Jasco (45612) In-Wall Dimmer Won't Connect

If the light switch works manually, nothing shows up in live logging when you try to pair and the exclude process gives you no love, then you got a bum light switch. Time to throw in the towel and send it back. :frowning: sorry dude. And my apologies, I didn’t read your first post well enough.

That particular model has a known problem with a fairly high percentage of units where after awhile they lose communication and the only way to reset it is to turn off all power, usually at the breaker. Not just flipping the switch. This has nothing to do with SmartThings, you’ll find the same discussions on the Vera and Homeseer forums. Details at the link @sidjohn1 already gave you.

I have the same switch, and ran into that as well. I threw the power at the breaker for that area and was able to re-join the Z-Wave network. Lucky for me, it doesn’t happen often. Once in 6 months.

1 Like

The one thing I haven’t tried is the breaker switch. I will give that a try once I figure out which breaker controls the area where the Z-Wave switch is located.

Is there a different dimmer switch brand that is more reliable than the GE/Jasco?

Yes, but they cost a lot more.

Basically just look at the warranties. Switches that are warranteed for 5 years are, not surprisingly, typically better engineered (and more costly) than switches warranteed for 1 year.

Well the breaker switch didn’t work but I finally solved the problem! It seems the Somfy Z-Wave ZRTSI controller I recently installed was creating some sort of conflict. It suddenly occurred to me last night that I should try deleting the most recently installed Z-Wave device that actually worked to see if that made a difference. The last device happened to be the the ZRTSI. It was a struggle deleting it as it kept reappearing in IDE for some reason. But once I finally deleted it, I was suddenly able to join the new Z-Wave switch and reconnect the other Z-Wave switch that stopped working.

Although I finally solved this problem, it took a week of aggravation and many hours of my life that I will never get back. I also am still unable to use the ST app on any Android device. I really hope that SmartThings becomes more reliable and user friendly soon or that a viable competitor comes to market in the near future. I also have to reiterate my deep disappointment with ST technical support, which was not very responsive, gave me rote suggestions that merely mimicked what is on the website and sounded like a script and actually terminated a chat midstream without warning.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. Maybe this thread will help others who encounter a similar problem in the future by showing them that a Z-Wave connection problem might be resolved in some cases by identifying and deleting a conflicting Z-Wave device.

Glad you found the solution!

FWIW, I’ve always found ST support very helpful, and that includes a chat session this week. I’d tend to assume the drop off was inadvertent, although if you’d already given them your email, I’d expect a follow up email to say the chat was interrupted.

I was having trouble connecting my GE on/off light switch to the hub. The switch is in a detached garage with about 50’ and 5 walls between the hub and switch. So, I took the hub to the switch. I used a TP link Nano Powerline Adapter to connect the hub to the LAN remotely. Worked like a charm!! I love these powerline adapters! Try it if you having any problem connecting something to the hub. You’ll like it.

I struggled with mine for quite some time before I figured out the magic sequence for my Jasco ZW3101. Here are the steps in order to perform:

1. With the unit plugged into the AC outlet, press and hold the center button on the dimmer for 15 seconds
  2. Unplug the dimmer module from the AC outlet
  3. While holding the center button on the dimmer, plug the dimmer module back into the AC outlet and immediately release the button when it is plugged back in
  4. From the Smartthings App Hub home menu, goto Z-Wave Utilities
  5. Choose General Device Exclusion
  6. While the exclusion process is running, press the center button on the dimmer 1 time
  7. You should now see the message, “one device was removed” from the exclusion process
  8. Now go to Smartthings App and select “+ Add a Thing” which begins the discovery process
  9. While the discovery process is running, press the center button on the dimmer 1 time, and the device will now show up as a discovered device and will be part of your Z-Wave network

The key to this process is to only press the button 1 time where I have instructed. My unit was about 30 ft away from the location of my hub. Hope this is useful for someone.

2 Likes

Just wanted to leave a kudos to Diddy - this worked perfectly . Thanks for the solution!

Thank you so much! I have been looking all over the place to find instructions on how to reset my Jasco ZW3101 and your instructions worked perfectly. Thank you!!