Garage Relay and Sensor Problems

(Jeff Keeme) #1

I have a garage door relay that is working just fine. I also have a door sensor that is working just fine when I choose that the sensor is attached to a conventional door during setup.

As soon as I change the setting from conventional door to garage door and tie it in with the garage relay it no longer works as expected. I can still open and close the garage door as normal with the relay, but the sensor always shows as open.

I figured that there was a problem with the sensor so I deleted the sensor from my setup and used a brand new one. Same exact thing occurred. After this failure I attempted to use the new sensor on a conventional door. It worked perfeclyt fine.

Not sure what I’m doing wrong or if this is a feature that is no longer working.

(The fish is still dead.) #2

What kind of sensor are you using?

(Jeff Keeme) #3

I am using a the following sensor and relay for the garage:

Evolve LFM-20 Fixture Module
SmartSense Multi Sensor

(michael) #4

I have a tilt sensor on my garage door in the last three or four days it’s saying that it opens and closes when it’s not I have it set up to text me when the garage door opens and closes sometimes it will text me for for 10 minutes saying it’s open then within a couple seconds It will say it’s closedThe battery is it 100% has been working for a couple months with no problems

(Ray) #5

Not really sure how you tie the sensor to the relay. Doesn’t the multi sensor uses a magnet for open and closed?

(Ray) #6

Possible you moved a repeater and it’s out of range? I know there was a platform update a couple of days ago so there could be a hicup. How about unplug your hub for 30 mins and see if that will help.

(Jeff Keeme) #7

Not really sure how you tie the sensor to the relay. Doesn’t the multi sensor uses a magnet for open and closed?

This is a feature in SmartThings for the sensor when you select Garage Door in the setup.

(Ray) #8

Unless you are using the tilt funtion. Why don’t you just use the conventional door setup instead? You will still have the same alert as the garage door. I tested the garage door setup and you are right. It works 2 out of 10 tries. You should report to supports. I already did and hope they will fix it.

(Andy) #9

I originally bought a SmartSense Multi Sensor for my garage door… The device simply did not have the range to get to my garage which is 2 floors below my hub. I then (foolishly) tried to use a Z-Wave open close sensor. That was pretty unreliable too. The Ecolink tilt sensor is what I use now and it has worked 100% of the time (knock on wood).

(Ray) #10

ST supports confirmed that app is using the tilt function and not the magnetic open/close so you might want to check the mounting location of the sensor.

(Jeff Keeme) #11

That is the solution:

ST supports confirmed that app is using the tilt function and not the magnetic open/close so you might want to check the mounting location of the sensor.

I was testing at my desk before I mounted it up. As soon as I mounted it up it worked as expected. Thanks!