Frustrations with Linear GD00Z-4 garage door control

About 2 years ago I purchased and installed a Linear GD00Z-4 Z-wave garage door controller. I have had some problems with it for the beginning.

1. When there is a power outage, the unit does a beep-beep and the light flashes at a 2-4 times per second rate. If I glitch the power (quick unplug-plug of the DC power), it will beep once and then all is good.

2. Now, the unit has stopped working. At first it would do the warning beeps but not open the door. Now after tweaking with it to try to see what the problem is, it doesn’t even show up on the hub.

So, here are my questions for everyone:

1. Is this the same the the Go Control GD00Z-4 model?
  2. Am I the only one with these issues (could I have gotten a bad unit)?
  3. Is there a better or new model of garage door control that just works with SmartThings like the GD00Z-4 [kind of] did for me?
  1. not sure I understood the question
  2. no. You’re describing a fairly usual failure for the unit unfortunately (the beeps with no opening actions)
  3. not really…

Search the forum for a thread about Gocontrol garage door openers failing after about a year of use, read the thread and find the part where someone on the community has figured out exactly what part has failed and offers repair instructions…

You might check this:

1 Like
  1. Yes. The manufacture is Nortek and they distribute the same model under many different brand names. The only difference is the box it comes in and the label stuck on the unit.

See the FAQ:

FAQ: Question about GoControl--Is it the same as Linear?

1. You aren’t the only one with that problem, but this is a very popular unit when you add together all of the different brand variations and most people don’t have those problems. But some people definitely do. It’s hard to say whether it’s a defective unit as I believe the warranty period Should be up on the one that you have.

2. There isn’t anything better from another company. Nortek does have A brand new model coming out which is supposed to have some reliability updates and support for the S2 security framework , but unless you’re an ADT customer it hasn’t really hit the market yet so we haven’t gotten a lot of field reports on it. This is mentioned in the FAQ linked to above.

I’ve had this unit for about 5 years now and encountered the beep beep beep after unplugging the unit. It was always luck to get it to work again until I read “glitch the power.” I had been waiting longer and longer wch each attempt at unplugging it. Really never made any sense because unplugging it is what caused the problem. I was just hoping to get lucky.

I fought with 2 of these openers for a few years. I Finally dumped them and replaced with 1 of these. Zooz Z-Wave Plus 700 Series Universal Relay ZEN17 with 2 NO & NC Relays (20A, 10A)

You can control 2 doors with I device. Yes, you will need 2 magnetic open/closed sensors. It has been working well for quite a while.

2 Likes