Alternative to GoControl / Linear. 2nd unit failed. Done with these things

Hello,

Short of buying two new “smart” garage door openers or two new GoControl devices, what are the other alternatives out there these days for automating my existing garage door opener. The units have the typical symptoms upon failure. They report open / closed and seem to function properly aside from actually opening / closing.

I’m not afraid of wiring / installing Z-wave plugs, switches, etc. I just want something more reliable than these go control units so I can open and close remotely.

Thanks in advance.

I use to use a FortrezZ Mimolite until I switched to the Linear device. I kinda wish I never did that to be honest. When mine dies I’ll go back to FortrezZ.

1 Like

Some people have reported that when the LED on the main controller dies it causes the control features to quit working. If you’re handy, you can solder a resistor in place of the LED and it might fix your issue.

Less than a $1 fix which is obviously not for everyone, but figured I would mention it just in case!

3 Likes

Similar to @johnconstantelo I switched from a Dry Contact Relay to the Linear Z-wave openers.

Looking at my Amazon order history, it looks like I used a GoControl Dry Contact Relay and a Ecolink Tilt Sensor.

A lot of people really like the Qubino 1D Relay which is a dry contact relay that also has some neat features like automatically being able to turn on for a second or two and then back off. Really nice for garage door applications.

2 Likes

Hmm. This is interesting. Any chance you could help find a link to relevant conversations about this. I know how to solder and have even fixed my TVs replacing the caps.

I’m guessing you’re referring to the power/status LED? Bc the white light that blinks before “opening/closing” still works.

Thanks. Off to do some google searching. :+1:

*edit. I see the convo in your original post now. Thanks.

2 Likes

FAQ: 2019 UL-Certified Garage Door Options

2 Likes

After reading that “fix” thread, I’m optimistic I may be able to fix these things! I’ll be heading to get resistors tomorrow and give it a try. Thanks! I searched for repairing them back when my first one failed a year or so ago and never found anything.

3 Likes

Smart Things just announced that Tailwind now works with ST.

Tailwind website

1 Like

Tailwind and Nexx both work with SmartThings now. But they don’t allow you to automate opening the garage via SmartThings like the GD00z does

1 Like

But then you may not need to, as tailwind has its own Geolocation feature. It’s patent pending and very clever: it checks for both your phone and your car so if someone steals just your phone they still can’t open your garage door.

2 Likes

The Z Wave Switches used to control my Garage Door:

Video here:Automated Garage Door With SmartThings & Stringify!

I also have an article on this on my website. It includes some pictures of my Go Control wiring to my garage door opener. Link here

1 Like

Firbro realy contact sensor and this. Just hook up.the dry relay to the open close push button

1 Like

Thanks for @joshua_lyon for informing me that someone had found a fix. I ordered my 3w 10ohm resistors via amazon and got them in 2 days. Soldered both units yesterday and they’re back to working like champs. Such an easy fix, once identified. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone else for the replies as well. I plan to look into those other options as well. If these things fail again, I’ll know what to go for next time.

1 Like

Jumping in on this old post to say I also just had a GoControl open fail in the same manner. I applied the 3 - 10 ohm resistors in parallel fix as described above and I’m back in service! Sweet!

1 Like