Force Deleted Ghost "Unknown Devices" From Route, But Still Showing Up After Running Z-Wave Repair?

Hi,

I’m having an issue with my Schlage Touchscreen Deadbolt Door Lock device showing as Offline, I followed the steps listed in the link below to remove Unknown Devices from the route which seemed to work properly.

However, when I run the Z-Wave Repair utility it still seems to show the Unknown Devices in the route and in the event log I see the following.

• Network repair for Schlage Touchscreen Deadbolt Door Lock [06]: Could not update neighbors
  • Network repair for Schlage Touchscreen Deadbolt Door Lock [06]: Could not delete old routes
  • Network repair for Schlage Touchscreen Deadbolt Door Lock [06]: Could not assign new route

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what I can try to fix this issue?

Thank you!

The report in the IDE only shows the most recent route and can take as much as 24 hours to update. Have you waited a day to see if the report changes? also, make sure you actuate the device from the app at least once during the waiting period so there will be a new route to see.

Oh ok, no I didn’t wait 24 hours, I thought after deleting the Unknown Devices and running the Z-Wave Repair it would automatically fix this in real time. I’ll check again after waiting 24 hours.

However, when I deleted the 2 ghost Unknown Devices and ran the Z-Wave Repair I noticed the 2 new Unknown Devices that showed up in the route section under My Devices screen had updated with different ID values.

Thank you!

1 Like

It can take a little while to propagate, but it takes even longer to report because of the way the cloud architecture works. you aren’t actually viewing the network tables as they exist on the hub, you are viewing individual snapshots that were reported over time to the cloud.

That’s not because of Zwave, it’s just the way smartthings has designed their architecture, probably to lighten the load on the shared cloud resources.

Oh ok, so did I not delete the correct Unknown Devices IDs that I saw listed under the My Devices route?

I’m not sure I understand the question. The Z wave controller, in this case the smartthings hub, gives out the IDs when devices join the network. They are just given in numerical order, 5, 6, 7 etc. IDs for deleted devices can be reused, but not until the network has reached the maximum of 232. Then it goes back to the beginning and starts giving out the leftover no longer being used IDs, again in order.

The table of IDs is kept in the hub itself. In the smartthings architecture, The cloud tries to keep up, but it can lag a little bit behind.

There is one weird exception. If you are using the smartthings Wi-Fi mesh system, there was a glitch where the subhubs might always be identified as an “unknown device,” even though they could act as repeaters. To be honest I don’t really know much about the details of that except that the issue has been reported in the forum multiple times.

Other than that, if it’s a ghost device, that means it’s a device that was kicked off the network but somehow all the housekeeping didn’t get done and so either you are looking at an old route record, which can happen, or the cloud doesn’t know exactly what is going on.

I don’t know how all that matches up with the question you were asking, though, but since device IDs don’t change, that is they don’t get reused unless you’ve gotten all the way up to the maximum and are cycling through again, it’s not likely that you deleted the “wrong“ device.

But again, I’m not sure I understand the question. :thinking:

I believe a fairly recent hub firmware update added the ability for a Z wave repair to update the routes displayed in the IDE.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies!

Yes, in the device IDE I see it shows the route information, please see below screenshot image link.

So in this specific example, I deleted Unknown Device (B2) ↔ Unknown Device (02) and then tried running the Z-Wave Repair but then coming back to this screen again it would show different unknown devices like (AF) and (04).

So I had my uncle go to my apartment since I live out of state, and as soon as he put in the door pass-code everything worked properly and the lock showed back “Online”.

I was going to have him try to “Exclude” the lock and then I was going to add it back to ST but we didn’t have to do any of these steps. We tested the lock a bunch of times while he was there and me controlling it through the app and everything worked fine.

So my question is why did the lock show “Offline”? Does it go into sleep mode if the battery is too low; the battery was around 26%? Or does it turn it to “Offline” if the lock isn’t used for a while?

I know my tenant has been away on vacation this past week so the lock hasn’t been in use.

Thank you!