Final answer on V1 migration please!

Do any of you use automation for controlling lights?

For me, local control for controlling lights is reason enough to go to V2 and I consider it ESSENTIAL… I was on V1 and moved to V2 using the early upgrade code.

If I open a door to the basement stairwell and the lights do NOT go on instantly, whats the point of automation? I can flick the switch instead and not even need automation.

With V2 local control my lights are all instant and I have no problems with the cloud.

1 Like

Depends on your lights. If you use the most popular smart lights on the planet (Philips Hue), no local control.

2 Likes

V2, because I have so much local, was worth it…YMMV. I held out forever as I have had this in a box forever. Kinda glad I went through the pain.

I don’t have nearly that many things but the speed improvement alone was worth it for me. Stuff running local is nice too! I did my 50 or so things and programming over a weekend an hour here and an hour there. Still need to to one last thing… a lock that I need to reset to default and re set up. Dogs don’t like the beeps it make so i just have not got to it yet

@slagle, it’s great that you’re so active on here (and yes, that’s meant to be sincere). You have made a lot of posts since I asked these questions: can you please take the time to give us a definitive response, or ask @duncan or @alex or someone from ST to do so.

Please don’t leave us hanging, and if you respond, please give us the in-depth answers to these questions that I think many are looking for.

Thx.

We are still working on the tool. It has not escaped us that we need to have a migration tool. But, we are focusing on the basics right now. The basics are so important because none of this matters without them. I do not have a timeline for you but I can tell you that we recognize the problems caused by not having a migration tool available.

2 Likes

Can you then at least, even without an eta, 100% commit that a migration tool from V1 to V2 will be delivered at some point?

I would consider this a basic requirement before upgrading from hub v1 to hub v2. Isn’t the only alternative to manually uninstall/delete literally everything? Every smartapp, every device, every routine. Then manually re-add everything. Not worth the time and effort, IMHO.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/205956110-How-to-migrate-your-SmartThings-setup-to-Hub-v2

1 Like

Following this thread closely. I bought a V2 hub 6 months ago…but it’s still sitting in the box on my desk, gathering dust. I have no plans to install it…too many other “priority” home projects. If I had a migration tool…absolutely.

Just eBay it… my guess is we’ll see a v3 hub before a migration tool is ready. At least I hope so as I now have way too much stuff to go through that again.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised to see that either. And that would be kinda sad. ST doesn’t have the resources (or access to samsung’s resources) to develop both a stable, cloud-based platform and a hub migration tool at the same time?

1 Like

@slagle, can you respond to my question above…

“Can you then at least, even without an eta, 100% commit that a migration tool from V1 to V2 will be delivered at some point?”

Thx.

Like I said, we are working on it. That’s the best info I have at the moment.

1 Like

Any news on this?

On a side note, if the answer to the previous is uncertain… Any way I could start making a backup of all the apps and automations I’ve got at home before my new v2 hub arrives this week?

It’s dead, see below:

Ouch!

That’s a mini blow…

So then… On to the second part… Any easy way to make a backup of the apps to re upload them when the new hub is in place?

Not that I am aware of. There are a number of threads regarding migration. You might start with this one to research the process.

3 Likes

Thanks Phil!

Out of curiosity, what’s pushing you to “upgrade” from v1 to v2? Local processing is virtually non-existent, bluetooth isn’t enabled, usb ports are non-functional and now even the batteries no longer work more than 2 months without leaking.

1 Like

Local processing is great!

I had a V1 and upgraded to V2.