Fibaro RGBW vs H801 WiFi RGBWW Controller Comparison

Just got my first Fibaro RGBW controller for helping a friend.

We swapped one of my extra WiFi H801 RGBWW LED Controllers because I knew that my H801 setup could do exactly what he was trying to do. Simple automation control of controlling the RGB for color and also two separate W1 and W2 channels of dual row LED white lights for under and over cabinet lighting. He was in a rush to get his project done and I was curious to get a closer look and feel of the Fibaro RGBW setup.

We both win! . . . . or so I thought.

I think I may have gotten the short end of the stick with the Fibaro. I set it all up and got it working ok but honestly the H801 seems to me to be head over heels the winner in this head to head comparison.

COST - much less expensive on the H801 at $13 vs Fibaro at $69 or if you don’t mind waiting a couple weeks on shipping from China then AliExpress has them at $9
FORM FACTOR - the terminals on the H801 are more robust and use a small screwdriver whereas the Fibaro uses a jewelers screwdriver and is much more delicate.
SOFTWARE - this piece isn’t even funny. @erocm1231 has really hit a grand slam with his work on the device handler, service manager smartapp, firmware. Side by side UI of each device and actually integrating into basic home automation use, I don’t even put the Fibaro in the same league let alone game.
The H801 smartapp’s ability to generate with one click 5 virtual switches giving me individual on-off and dimming control of every channel for automating is genius along with the single click to remove them all at once if need be.
I can setup 6 preset programs accessible directly from the device handler screen for controlling actions/effects from the device handler. And now with the latest update 1-23-17 he has added the ability to export/import these custom actions/effects strings via copy/paste across devices!
OUTPUT - The H801 gets a leg up here because it has 5 channels RGBWW where Fibaro only 4 RGBW.
INPUT - The Fibaro does have a huge leg up here as it can monitor four analog sensors that could be configured as binary whereas the H801 has one binary switch input available
TECHNOLOGY - Fibaro is Z-wave vs H801 is WiFi. Depending on your system one could be better over the other.

Why I would ever choose a Fibaro if the H801 is available? The one downside for me was the fear of the unknown involved in flashing custom firmware. I am really motivated to get a video done :slight_smile: to help others over this hurdle. But for those willing to jump and go the DIY route with the H801 will be duly rewarded.

The more I get into using these devices the more grateful I feel. Thanks @erocm1231 :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for the props @dalec. I have really enjoyed working on the H801 and sold my Fibaro & Hue light strip devices once I had some working code going. I have several of the H801s and they work great.

As a side note, I just added the ability to export and import programs so if you have some that you want me to put up in the main thread, go check it out.

3 Likes

Wow! You just won’t stop improving this great little device! :grinning:

OK I neglected to add another advantage to the H801:
- The author has been responsive to feedback and keeps making it better!

2 Likes

I’ve done a lot of research trying to find a good RGB controller that works with ST.
Looked at EVERYTHING, until I came across a thread by @erocm1231 working with the H801.
I figured it was way too good to be true. So I put out the $12 for the H801, followed his instructions, and it does exactly what I want it too do and more. Very reliable, fast, and easy to use.
I now have four of them going at my house.

@erocm1231 's work on SmartApp and the integration with SmartThings is amazing.

2 Likes