Fibaro RGBW Controller (DTH link in post 32, police light smartapp link in post 79)

Hey all,

The fibaro rgbw controller never got official integration due to some Zwave Color hacks I had originally put in the DTH. It needs to be re-aligned with the proper color control methods. In backlog for me right now.

As for turning on the bottom tiles, how did you install it? From my github?

hopefully @twack can fix this soon, until then below is the app i used to restore the controller. You only have to install this app once to restore the controller . What I was doing with this app is I installed about 5 copies I changed line 42 in each install to the color i wanted the lights to be, i then installed 5 virtual switches called one called “red lights”, another “green lights”, another “blue lights”…you get the idea…when it was all said and done I could then Have Alexa turn on the different color lights…it was just a fun little project for me. :smile:
/**

preferences {
section(“When this switch turns on …”){
input “contact1”, “capability.switch”, title: “Where?”
}
section(“Turn on the Fibaro color…”){
input “switches”, “capability.switch”, multiple: false
}
}

def installed()
{
subscribe(contact1, “switch.on”, contactOpenHandler)

}

def updated()
{
unsubscribe()
subscribe(contact1, “switch.on”, contactOpenHandler)

}

def contactOpenHandler(evt) {
log.debug "$evt.value: $evt, $settings"
log.trace "Turning on switches: $switches"
switches.blue()
}

def contactclosedHandler(evt) {
log.debug "$evt.value: $evt, $settings"
log.trace "Turning on switches: $switches"
switches.off()
}

1 Like

I am trying to exclude my fibaro rgbw controller to migrate over to V2, however the controller is out in the pool utility box in the yard and doesn’t have a great wifi signal. Is there a way to get it excluded without disconnecting and moving it indoors?

I personally would use a long network cable and extension cord to move the hub closer to the controller. only reason is the little tiny wires and screws on the controller are a pain (for my old eyes anyway)

Well, I thought so, but it may have been from the Smartthings account, too. I have been all over github, but I am still not sure how to get the latest of something mentioned here. I just went back to github & pulled a version from your repository specifically and it is working.

I am seeing the problem being described. SmartLighting & your device type are not compatible.
-I turn it on directly to Police color
– ST sends Blue to it based on SmartLighting on motion, the LED turns off
— I am able to just turn it on again with any of your colors.
– ST sends Blue again based on same, nothing happens to LEDs.

on my ipad, I can do all this over and over…
On my android phone, I can turn them on & off, but it crashes when I go into the device every time

1 Like

If you have an Aeon Minimote, you can exclude with that. Solves a lot of exclusion issues. :sunglasses:

OK, I was able to get it excluded but now I am not getting a response after including it on the V2 hub. I am using @twack code for the device type which was unchanged from the V1 hub. I did change the name of of my device from Fibaro RGBW Controller to Waterfall Lights, do I need to change that in the code somewhere?

I checked and pulled yours from github. It works on both Android & my ipad w/o crashing. I removed my LEDs from SmartLighting, but do use goodbye, goodnight, and gentle wake up. None of which change the color. So far so good.

Is there any way to tell the the Fibaro controller is actually receiving commands? Since mine is out in the yard and behind a tree it may be too far from the V2 hub, although it used to work with the V1 hub. Is there any way to check this?

As in, other than it actually doing what it’s supposed to be doing?

1 Like

I wasn’t sure if this was in reply to my comment but if it was, the lights are not turning on/changing color, etc. They used to work with the V1 hub and now when I send commands nothing happens. I was able to re-pair the fibaro controller but can’t get anything to actually work when I send commands via the app.

1 Like

Have you turned on the logs through the IDE? Also try doing a Z-Wave repair to see if the device is successfully in the mesh.

I don’t have V2 hub, but doesn’t it have a battery so you can move it closer to the device for pairing.

These are the errors I got:

3:04:29 PM: trace cp desc: Network repair for Fibaro RGBW Controller [08]: Failed to update mesh info
3:05:01 PM: trace cp desc: Network repair for Fibaro RGBW Controller [08]: Failed to update route

I see what you mean, I’m still not used to being able to have access to that level of detail (Wink hub) as mentioned by @beckwith , I hope you didn’t take my post as negative! I genuinely still trying to learn without the ST hub! :smiley:

I suggest rebooting your hub, let it settle down for about a half hour and rerun the Z-Wave repair again. My setup of about 200 devices sometimes takes several repairs before it gets fixed.

The radio signal on V2 may be a slight different than V1. They recommended V1 to be positioned horizontal. Maybe it is different with V2.

Kind of off topic, but I’m planning on getting this controller along with RGBW light strip(s) for my tray ceiling. It’s about 70 feet I’d need however. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle such a long run?

I’m not promoting this at all since I’m VERY cautious about these cheap devices however, what you are looking for a is an RGB ‘amplifier’/extender like this:

Each time you use one of these you need another power supply of the same voltage you used at the start, also there is some question about the ability to dim correctly when you use them. Note that I’ve never used one myself but I plan to at some point.

Any idea what the maximum length I can do before needing to add an amplifier? Is it just the 16.4 feet that most of the strip lights are?

I would have to go back and measure, but I have about 24’ wired together and they work fine. There is no dimming at the end of the strips. I also have two 24" strips wired through the same controller for LED waterfalls and everything seems plenty bright.

I went and looked at the floor plans, looks like I’ll need to cover 76 feet.

With the Fibaro controller can I start two lines (one going in each direction), run 24 feet, then add an amplifier to the end of each one and add the remaining 14 feet to each end? Seems like it would be the most cost effective and least complicated way of doing it.

1 Like