Fibaro Relay

(Nick Palfrey) #1

Hi All,
I have installed a Fibaro relay for my kitchen ceiling spots, and the second switch is going to be used to tell an RGBW to turn on or off…

So it’s a single relay 3kw and associated fine etc… both switches are momentary (spring)…

Associated fine first time and gave the master device a name and both child devices etc…

My question is in two parts and one is a real problem.

I don’t know what device handler I can use that will allow me to see the child devices and give them a true name, the standard multi-channel device handler isn’t doing that.

Secondly - the switch is only doing something when pushed and held… so if it’s off in smartthings etc, you push the toggle switch and the lights flash on but the moment you release, they go off!!! Vice versa if they are on!

So, any idea on a device handler or the switch issues?

Really much appreciated!

Nick

(MarkTr) #2

I don’t have any experience with the Fibaro, but it sounds like the device handler should be configured as a “button” rather than a “switch” if it’s momentary.

(Robin) #3

Why would you want a child device for a single relay?

The second switch is only for direct association and won’t communicate with the hub.

My recommendation would be to use the Dimmer 2 module, in on/off mode (dimming disabled) and then S2 can be used to send scene ID’s to the hub for controlling other things.

(Robin) #4

Best handler for the single relay is just the generic z-wave switch handler (it runs locally).

If you need to tweak the parameters, use the z-wave tweaker device handler, setup what you need and then switch back to the generic handler.

(Nick Palfrey) #5

Ok - so have gotten my head around this relay and how it cant be used for what I want but, can anyone give me a use case for the second switch? How would you use it?

Nick

(Robin) #6

Second switch is great for retrofitting, where table lamps, kitchen extractor lights, kitchen under unit lights / pelmet lights etc don’t have an existing wall switch.

In a new build it’s less important as you can wire all that stuff straight to a wall switch anyway.

I do like using double clicks on S1, where a room has multiple lights. Double click for all on, double click again for all off… saves clicking each switch individually.

(Nick Palfrey) #7

I’m being super thick… I guess I don’t understand why that’s any different to what I mentioned earlier?

In the example you gave, the S2 is wired to a physical wall Switch how does it control something else?

It can’t be a scene through smartthings?

Sorry to drag this out!!

Nick

(Robin) #8

It isn’t a ST scene, but it does pass through the ST hub.

When a switch is clicked, double clicked, triple clicked, held or released, it sends a central scene report (Scene ID number) to the hub.

The device handler translates this into a readable value.

A smartapp like webCoRE can respond to the scene:

for example, here is a snippet of part of a webCoRE piston I use:

If S2 on my Kitchen light Fibaro is single clicked (scene 26) it toggles my extractor hood light (a separate device)

If the same switch is double clicked (scene 24) it either turns everything on (multiple different devices) (if all of the kitchen lights are off) or otherwise turns everything on. Alternate double clicks turns all on / turns all off / turns all on etc.

(Nick Palfrey) #9

Hey Robin - I am still not over the line with this, and I don’t know why.
However, I achieved what I wanted to in the end…

The end goal was to control a hue ceiling light via a normal UK light switch… all we did, was connect the toggle switches to a relay, hot wire hue to be permanently on then use web core to look for the relay movement and then execute a piston to control hue (with temp changing based on a lux reading) - it works perfectly with no noticeable delay.

As the relay is used but not actually controlling anything, some would argue its over engineered but having tinkered for 12/18 months, this is the BEST fix for Hue control I have so far.

Thanks for the help,
Nick