Fibaro Dimmer 2 not sending updates to hub

I’ve got an intriguing issue that I’ve not managed to find previous mentions of…

I have a lot of Fibaro Dimmer 2s. They are pretty much working OK generally (I’ve had the usual issues encouraging the to pair, and even had one melt itself, but generally OK).

The one that I’m stuck with is behaving strangely though. It responds to commands sent to it pretty quickly (none of them are lightening quick) and reliably, but the ST Hub does not seem to get responses back from it, so does not know whether the switch has actually switched.

To date, this hasn’t mattered that much, but I’ve now just added some more lights that I want paired up to the same switch, so I now need the dimmer to report the switching event correctly, which it’s not doing - you can switch on or off or change the dimmer level using the app fine, but the log showing on the “recently” tab does not show any events.

I’m using Eric Maycock’s handler (erocm123)
It happens to be 2m away from the hub (the closest of all my modules), currently out of the back box (which is plastic), with its aerial nice & straight.

It does strike me that I have 2 other modules relatively close to the Hub, and they are a little uncommunicative too - it can’t be that they’re too close can it??!!

Things I’ve checked:
The aerial looks to be fine - it was squashed, but I can’t believe that it’s damaged.
I’ve removed & re-added it twice - it removes and adds fine… (hmm - suggesting it can communicate with the hub??)
I’ve reset it once
I’ve done a z-wave network repair

I can’t think of anything else - help!!

For the Dimmer 2 you should use either the embedded DTH which runs locally or the Codersaur one. I prefer the Codersaur one for best functionality, but as it does not run running locally I stick with the embedded one.

Not thing is to see if they all included in secure mode (zw:Ls). Are they all the same firmware version (3.5)?

Simon,

Thanks for the rapid pointers…
I made a mistake - I am using Codersaur (erocm123 is the handler for the double relay modules)

Looking at most of my dimmers I can see the following data block:

• applicationSubVersion: 5
  • applicationVersion: 3
  • firmwareChecksum: 8BF9
  • firmwareId: 0112
  • manufacturerId: 010F
  • manufacturerName: Fibargroup
  • productId: 1000
  • productTypeId: 0102
  • zWaveLibraryType: 03
  • zWaveProtocolSubVersion: 5
  • zWaveProtocolVersion: 4

and they are showing zw:Ls in the Raw description.
(some of them do not have the data block populated)

For the mis-behaving module I have:

• networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S0_FAILED

And pairing looks like it may not be secure - I have zw:L in the raw description.
Reading another of your posts, this seems to be a pairing issue.

So I excluded and re-paired it AGAIN.

This time I get a small data block:

• networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S0_LEGACY
    and zw:Ls - good…
    then once it’s synced:
  • networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S0_LEGACY

Which has the legacy sec.level, which others don’t, but it seems to be working so I’m very happy - thanks!!!

now on to clearing up some other niggles - about 30% of my devices have no data, and some have less than others, which feels very wrong.
Clearly secure inclusion is a must, but beyond that does it matter?

One little thing - now there’s a native handler, how do I choose which one is used when they pair? I don’t want to have to delete codersaur & repair the 40 or so dimmers I have, at least, not all at once…

Best,

James

Progress. Good. Don’t worry about the new data block. ST changed the way they handle ZW devices in a Hub firmware update and now when you include a device you get these extra fields. I have some pre and post change and it doesn’t seem to matter.

To change the handler go into the IDE, select the device and then click “Edit” at the bottom of the page. You’ll see some editable fields. The one you want is “Type:”. Click that, scroll up to "Fibaro Dimmer 2 ZW5, select it and the click update.

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.