Feedback On This Forum

Sorry, what I meant to say is that it appears the starred topics are now bookmarked topics.

The font on this forum is hard to read. The lower case ā€œtā€ look too much like ā€œlā€ tltltltl. I donā€™t see any way I can change this in my preferences. This is especially challenging if trying to copy someoneā€™s configuration information.

Not really sure who to address this one to so @sam_saffron @Dianoga

Thereā€™ a new bug in the forum. Earlier I would copy paste the code into a new post, then select the entire code and press the ā€œPreformatted textā€ button and it would indent the ENTIRE code by insert 4 spaces on EACH line which would put the code into itā€™s own little scrollable section.
Recently now when I press the Preformatted Text button it ONLY indents the first line of each function not the entire code causing it to break up. Try to copy paste a smartapp (say about 150-200 odd lines).

What is the exact repro here? Recently @eviltrout rewrote the composer, it is possible there is still an edge case ā€¦ I tried a trivial repro and was unable to

Easy enough, see this thread, I was trying to update the code, so I edited the post, delete the old code, pasted the new code, selected the entire pasted code and clicked on the Preformatted text button. Earlier it would indent the entire code, now it just indents the first line of each function.

I tried to copy paste the entire code here in this very post and exactly the same issue, if you want Iā€™ll do, just avoiding the clutter.

Iā€™ve got steps to reproduce this so hopefully it should be fixed soon!

1 Like

Okay Iā€™ve fixed it! It should go out in our next deploy for you:

2 Likes

I am new to SmartThings (5 days) and I am finding this forum really difficult to use.

I only use one other online forum which I found easy and intuitive from the off:
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/forum.php

I am using FireFox and really struggling with:
Loads of white space on the page and really large headers/footers, mean most of the screen real estate is wasted and I have to scroll way too much.
How do I see how many people and who is actually online ?
How do I easily see a list of threads which have been posted to most recently ?
How do I bump up a thread to the top of the watch list again (in fact what watch list ?)
I find I am constantly searching and just finding a random set of threads, many of which are inactive, overlapping and often raise a question but then there is no response or answer in the thread even after a month.
I am finding it difficult to get any sameday help/chat with other forum members. Is that because I am in the wrong time zone (UK), or because its Christmas/New Year ? Or because there is no common watch list ?

I am posting this to this thread but really have no idea whether anyone will look at it. The last post was over a month ago ?

1 Like

Hi there. Could you provide some screenshots - I want to be sure I m seeing what you are seeing. Thanks!

@eviltrout apparently this issue isnā€™t fixed yet. I tried to paste the below code and then ā€˜indentā€™ it after selecting all the lines using the </> button and it doesnā€™t indent it.

The code below is current enclosed in triple quotes to show it correctly but you can try it out for yourself.

definition(
    name: "Routine Event BugTest",
    namespace: "rboy",
    author: "RBoy",
    description: "Routine events are receveied in apps with static pages",
    category: "My Apps",
    iconUrl: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Allstate/lock_it_when_i_leave.png",
    iconX2Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Allstate/lock_it_when_i_leave@2x.png"
)

preferences {
    section("Select Lock") {
        input "lock1","number", title: "Lock"
    }
}

def installed()
{
    log.trace "$settings"
    appTouch()
}

def updated()
{
    log.trace "$settings"
    appTouch()
}

def changeHandler(evt) {
    log.debug "Event called $evt.name $evt.value"
}

def appTouch() {
    unsubscribe()
    subscribe(location, "routineExecuted", changeHandler)
}

Sections are so out of proportion that finding anything is impossible, Example in the ā€œDevices and Integrationsā€ There are so many posts all mixed up talking about 6 different Honeywell Thermostats so finding the right answer or contacting someone that wrote the Device Type for a certain thermostat is near impossible, Some posts donā€™t even say what thermostat they are talking about. People are installing the wrong code for their thermostats etc. That forum should have been divided into device types. Ex: RTH9580WF or RTH6580 or RTH9000. I think there is over 571 posts there alone.

Does it help to use search? What have been your experiences with searching?

I think this forum software is pretty sexy and usableā€¦ not like mostā€¦ I assume that this is ā€œSamsung Ownedā€ and not a platform that could be used elsewhere :frowning:

Actually, this forum runs on Discourse, and is available for others.

2 Likes

Search can lead you to sixteen different threads as the same device can be mentioned sixteen different places. When someone starts a thread pertaining to a certain product letā€™s try not to add code for another similar product, make a new thread. Example in the Thermostat thread there is at least 8 thermostats mentioned and different codes and device types all jumbled together. I would suggest EX: Honeywell-RTH9580WF then another thread Honeywell RTH9000WF, even if the code is the same for both and posted on Github and is the same code it would at least be in the correct place. I moderate other forums and this one is getting out of hand. So bad that a search can become daunting.

As I posted similar in another topic, I am sorry as I am doing what I said I didnā€™t want done, so I am guilty of creating confusion. If anyone takes this as a personal affront I do appologize but I have a lot at stake here as do many others and only want the best for the growth of the platform.

1 Like

We are trying to get more moderators involved. Still a lot of manual combining of threads at this point.

Thanks Ben, the updating would be great as there is some great info and some very misleading info.

Feel free to flag misleading topics as you find them and moderators will deal with them.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply here, but I just tried copying and pasting that code, highlighting it all and hitting the </> button and it seemed to indent properly? What did you see?

definition(
    name: "Routine Event BugTest",
    namespace: "rboy",
    author: "RBoy",
    description: "Routine events are receveied in apps with static pages",
    category: "My Apps",
    iconUrl: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Allstate/lock_it_when_i_leave.png",
    iconX2Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Allstate/lock_it_when_i_leave@2x.png"
)

preferences {
    section("Select Lock") {
        input "lock1","number", title: "Lock"
    }
}

def installed()
{
    log.trace "$settings"
    appTouch()
}

def updated()