Thanks for your feedback @kg4fku - we agree that this is quite different from other discussion forums. We think it is better and the way things will go. We hope you give it some time. For more on this forum and it’s goals and objectives (apart from SmartThings) I would encourage you to check out Discourse and their meta forum
Some of the beliefs the designers/developers of this system hold are:
Conversations, not pages
Why break conversations into awkward and arbitrary pages, where you have to constantly find the Next Page button?We’ve replaced all that with the power of just-in-time loading. Want to read more? Keep scrolling down.
Get notifications when mentioned
It’s difficult to have a conversation when you can’t hear anyone. When someone quotes your post, we’ll notify you. When someone mentions your @name, we’ll notify you. When someone replies to your post… well, you get the idea.
Simple, but with context
Discourse is a simple, flat forum, where replies flow down the page in a line. Expandable replies are attached to the bottom and top of each post, so you can discover the fuller context of the conversation – without breaking your flow.
We think people will like other features too, like
- Being able to reply from emails
- More easily keeping track and seeing what is new and unread since your last visit
- Automatically expanding and displaying things such as, social media, github links, and videos (try it, it is cool)
- Many more features around replying to specific things and creating new topics from replies
- Not to mention the reduction of spam from old forums.
Again, I hope you give this new interface some time and kick the tires a bit.