Feedback on Sirens, which to pick

link given from here
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/dome-manuals/SmartThings/SmartThings+Siren+Device+Handler.pdf
which provides this github link
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/krlaframboise/SmartThings/master/devicetypes/krlaframboise/dome-siren.src/dome-siren.groovy

@macombweare the device code you are using is old and doesn’t have capability switch.

Use this version instead
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/krlaframboise/SmartThings/master/devicetypes/krlaframboise/dome-wireless-zwave-plus-siren.src/dome-wireless-zwave-plus-siren.groovy

Don’t forget to go into the Echo Smart App and grant permission to Alexa to see the switch, then discover devices and you should be all set. Also name the device something easy to say to Alexa.

1 Like

thank you 
 wonder what @mictha1 was thinking

am i supposed to only see this many icons?

the previous handler had more?

Sorry maybe I am wrong (I don’t have a dome alarm) I just found that link on the “thesmartesthome” site and they are usually very good at keeping things up to date.

The Dome site has the one you pointed to. Strange that the “correct” version has an older version number.

The manual still points to the verison you were using.

Confusing!

Anyway if you use the version that doesn’t have the switch capability it will not work with Amazon Echo unless you add the capability yourself.

so which one am i using?

your link, @mictha1 link or something else

the link you gave me, Alexa was able to find though

@macombweare not sure which is correct. I can only speak to the fact that without the “capability switch” and it’s required “on” and “off” methods. You can’t get the device to work with Amazon Echo. If you use the version recommended by @mictha1 you will need to add that capability.

any guide/instructions on how to manually add “capability switch”

thanks.

Easy really, everything you need is in the alternate code I showed you.

Specifically

That should do the trick

Looks like On and Off are already in the code. Just add capability switch.

Here I made the change you need
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gouldner/SmartThings-8/master/devicetypes/krlaframboise/dome-siren.src/dome-siren.groovy

1 Like

got it now

thanks a lot
also tested with alexa and now works

1 Like

I created both of those device handlers. The first one I wrote was somewhat limited and then I worked with the manufacturer to create the second one which has a tile for each sound.

After several failed attempts at convincing the manufacturer the switch capability is necessary, I gave in and removed it. I brought up the issue again with them a few days ago, but I’m still waiting for a response.

4 Likes

@mictha1 if that’s accurate then I believe you guys made a mistake, please consider fixing it. Would also really appreciate info on how loud the siren actually is at each setting.

2 Likes

only reason i made up my mind in getting this particular siren was because @micthat1 was kind enough to provide somewhat support with the product only to turn out the device handler is inadequate

i think the siren is loud enough to be heard outside my house (in close proximity), and in the basement.

reason i know this, is because it got triggered today when my basement windows opened up from strong winds (yep that strong) as i got startled i asked alexa to turn it off and she was clueless! turns out the siren is not on her device list which i assumed it was as i had her discover several times between saturday and today
 its a pity

I don’t think that is fair. This is a very well written DH, one of the best I have seen. It’s inadequacy lies in your wanting to treat it like a switch which I can see going either way. In my opinion adding the switch capability enhances it and doesn’t really hurt it. Some purist might say “But it’s not a switch” but its a switch capability NOT a device type or classification or something like that. Switch is supported by many Smart Apps and really opens up a device when it’s added. I add it to a lot of my custom DH code. If it is isn’t added to the official DH for the siren I will never use the official version. No skin off my back either way but it’s a bummer that based on things like this almost all of my DH code is custom and then SmartThings always replies to my requests for support with custom DH not supported.

I don’t understand this part because discovery alone doesn’t work unless you grant permission to access your switches. So even with switch capability it wouldn’t just work. When you tried to add the permission to access this switch you would have noticed it wasn’t in the list of available devices to grant permission to. Same issue really but it never would have just worked on it’s own after discovery. Just pointing that out in a friendly way, unless I am missing something here :slight_smile:

Thanks @mictha1 and @krlaframboise for this device and the SmartThings support. I vote +1 on added switch capability in case you care to know.

2 Likes

Under the zwave standard, if it accepts a “basic” command to turn on/off, it’s a Switch. That includes bulbs, wall switches, outlets, pocket sockets, micros, and, yes, sirens. It may do a lot of other things as well, but it’s a switch. :wink:

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2059/classes

2 Likes

For those rigging up a 12v siren to a z-wave outlet, dont forget that you need a AC to 12v dc adapter between the outlet and siren.

1 Like

It’s literally a 1 line change to fix this problem and after seeing how many issues it’s causing, I’m pretty sure they’re going to let me add that line back to the device handler.

1 Like

The SmartThings Alexa SmartApp is one of the few SmartApps that has an option for granting access to all devices. If that’s enabled, asking alexa to discover new devices automatically picks up new devices without having to do anything extra.

If the DTH supported the switch capability it would have automatically worked the way @macombweare expected it to.

2 Likes