False Garage Door events tonight

(Ron) #1

I am getting false Open followed by False Closed events every 20-30 minutes tonight.

So far 4 false open/close pairs. They happen back to back. Open…Closed within about 1 min.

Any idea why ?
How to stop ?

While writing this…two more events Open…Close and only 4 minutes after last set…it’s getting worse !!!

Do you have my q? They were reporting some problems earlier today (see their official site).

If that’s not it, check the activity logs to see if there’s an explanation. If it seems to be related to ST, report it to support@smartthings.com

Meanwhile for tonight if your networked device goes through the panel there may be a manual lock button that will prevent any networked commands from being accepted while still allowing a manual open or the original opener button device to function.

If you bypassed the panel or yours lacks that safety feature, it’s trickier, you have to choose between killing power to the relay or unplugging the automation hub. Unplugging the hub may be the best safety option, but obviously turns off all your other automation too.

Good luck! I hate problems like that!

My Q topic, in case it’s relevant, although I know it may not be:

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #3

What specific Device Type(s)? What possibly related SmartApps installed? Any other concurrent problems?

(Hard to offer diagnostic ideas without the details, right?). Thanks…

(Ron) #4

This is with my Linear GD00Z garage door opener.

I tried support but that was VERY disappointing. Blake from support replied that they know the Linear GD00Z is very popular but it is not supported and I should post to the community to see if anyone else is having issues.
UPDATE: I replied to Blake saying I was disappointed and he responded that he will keep the ticket open and ask around. So my opinion of customer support is renewed to it’s positive status :smile:

Given that I get weird events from ST all the time for supported devices I would think they would take these issues more seriously.

The false events have stopped. I had 6 open events with 6 close events 1 min after open. Very strange.

What did the activity logs show as triggering the commands?

Also, as @tgauchat said, which device type and which smart apps are you using for the Linear?

I’m chasing a weird lights on bug right now which is due to IFTTT firing unexpectedly, but at least I knew where to look next.

(Ron) #6

What do you mean by “see if there is an explanation” ?

This is from my event log, they are all false events.
Is there another logs I should look at ?
If you mean the ide active logs the events have stopped so I can’t check there.

Date Source Type Name Value User Displayed Text
2015-05-01 8:45:01.941 PM HST
12 hours ago DEVICE door closed Garage Door door is closed
2015-05-01 8:44:55.437 PM HST
12 hours ago DEVICE door open Garage Door door is open
2015-05-01 8:40:06.406 PM HST
12 hours ago DEVICE door closed Garage Door door is closed
2015-05-01 8:39:59.690 PM HST
12 hours ago DEVICE door open Garage Door door is open
2015-05-01 8:09:00.544 PM HST
13 hours ago DEVICE door closed Garage Door door is closed
2015-05-01 8:07:53.901 PM HST
13 hours ago DEVICE door open Garage Door door is open
2015-05-01 7:47:41.856 PM HST
13 hours ago DEVICE door closed Garage Door door is closed
2015-05-01 7:43:44.113 PM HST
13 hours ago DEVICE door open Garage Door door is open
2015-05-01 7:08:58.249 PM HST
14 hours ago DEVICE door closed Garage Door door is closed
2015-05-01 7:08:29.597 PM HST
14 hours ago DEVICE door open Garage Door door is open
2015-05-01 7:00:40.528 PM HST
2015-05-01 6:57:48.855 PM HST

I meant the activity log for the device itself.

From the mobile app things screen, click on the little gear icon on that tile to open the device detail screen. Then check the activity log there.

You can also click on the smartapp tile from the device detail screen to see what smartapps or hello home actions are associated with it.

And check the battery level. If this is a contact or motion sensor, then the two things that most often cause the on/off reports are:

1. fluctuating battery

2. Device leaving and rejoining the network. This most often happens if the signal strength is low. So adding a repeater can help. Also you can just try doing a network heal in case the problem is a bad address table. Sometimes, although more rarely, this is caused by interference from a different device. But that’s more common with zigbee then Z wave in a home installation.

if someone else wrote the device type that you’re using, I would try asking in that topic, as the author May have seen the behavior before.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #8

That is seriously great to hear! Before SmartThings had the resources to ramp-up the Support team, we’d “too often” get your initial impression. Support has always been friendly and excellent at handling the issues under their control, but when they, legitimately, suggested the Community for assistance, they unfortunately, often / sometimes / usually (?), did not followup to ensure the Customer issue was eventually resolved, or at least assured that it was noted as “unsolved”. Hearing that they have closed this service-gap is very encouraging and a sign that SmartThings is growing resources in the best possible way. (@April … Kudo’s to “Blake” in Support … and/or praises to the whole team for squeezing out that extra bit of customer service quality!).

It is important for SmartThings to distinguish unsupported Devices, since there are, nearly literally, an “infinite” number of Devices out there. Yet, as you noted, there is always a possibility that the unsupported device isn’t the actual root of the problem. SmartThings is a complex platform.

I hope the Community can chip in and help, though, but, as @JDRoberts has mentioned, we have no way of knowing the details of your configuration (device types & SmartApps (official, and custom), various Event and Activity Logs, debug traces) unless you share it in detail. Of course, this is where Support has an advantage, since they can access your entire profile.

(Ron) #9

I was really just checking if others were experiencing he issue. I can debug the issue on my end if it continues which so far it has not.

I didn’t think of the battery aspect, I forget that the door sensor is battery operated since the main unit is plugged in. I actually don’t like this aspect of the device. I should have thought of that. There is no way to know the batter level either.

The activity log on the phone is less informative then the activity logs in the ide. Just says Open and the time, etc.

This brings up a question I have. Debug Logging can only be monitored from the ide “Live Logging”. Is there a way to have this log stored in some way so we can review activity later ? Or maybe we can write to the activity log ?

I have a power meter connected to my Wine Cooler because it is easy to accidentally turn it off. I use the meter to alert me if power goes below a certain level in which case I know it was shut off. About once a week I get a false “off” reading, when I check the ST app the power is back so I know it was just a bad reading. The Activity log say Power Fell below level and display the power reading of 0. I would like to add some debugging statements that I could read after such an event but they are rare.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #10

No history on live logging, but you can write extra Events which are kept for 7 days.

Also I suggest a $30 or less garage tilt sensor as a backup to confirm door state.

(Ron) #11

What kind of event should I write if I just want some text to debug later ?

I plan to move an extra camera I have into the Garage so I can just have a look when reports are made that I don’t trust. But the extra tilt sensor isn’t a bad idea.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #12

Hmmm… I’m low on ideas of where to start, frankly; but let’s see what suggestions come up.

I do have one thought…
Looks like the Open / Close events are happening relatively close together, though it does vary…

2015-05-01 7:00:40.528 PM HST
2015-05-01 6:57:48.855 PM HST

So I might suggest modifying the Device Handler and/or adding a SmartApp that does a Poll or Refresh immediately upon getting the “open” Event and generating a message Event with that immediate confirmation result. I don’t know enough about the particular device type to know if a Poll or Refresh is possible and difference in accuracy (?) it might have. But, well, it’s a diagnostic point. If this “confirmation diagnostic event” reveals that the Door is “closed” (even though it was just a moment ago reported as “open”, then you’ll have indication that a very short hiccup has occurred – some sort of false blip from the Device. That would be interesting to observe, right? If you put on additional sensors (such as a door tilt sensor), then you could also poll that Device and send a concurrent Event.

Depending on the complexity of the code of the Device Handler, you could write out an Event with the raw Z-Wave clusters from the device. That could help rule out a parse error. Maybe the Device itself is giving diagnostic, such as a low battery report that parse is not handling. Just a wild guess.

This is the ~$30 tilt Z-Wave sensor I use – it’s been very reliable. I bent the mechanical ball bearing tube inside of it just a bit to make it super sensitive to the door even opening a crack. At first, it was so sensitive that the wind would trigger it; but I adjusted the angle of the tube to be a bit less sensitive.

(Ron S) #13

@Ron @JDRoberts my MyQ internet gateway lost connection for couple of hrs today this evening and of course I didn’t get any notification from them. I thought it was my issue… Rebooted the router… No luck… ST garage door app wouldn’t work too… I changed the Ethernet wire and port thinking that may be the issue… Hell no. Just an hour back or so, it is normal and fine of its own. And may I added one “pi…ed” missus on a weekend while I try to get to what’s happening. I am at a point where i cannot justify anything to her.

(Ron) #14

@JDRoberts some good idea, if the events keep happening I will add some protective code to the device. However it’s been working for months so I hope this was a one time glitch.

@smart bummer you are losing WAF (wife acceptance factor) on your ST. I have had to spend a lot more time on some of my device and app code then expected as well. But so far have been able to avoid losing WAF :slight_smile:

(Ron S) #15

It’s a really bad situation, buddy! She is a teacher and very head strong… 18 yrs of marriage in our early 20’s. She can read me inside out…!these day saying its a test device from ST to members and report doesn’t buy me anything. She totally busted me. So, now even if I go to Home Depot, she wants to go too…else suspicion!

(Keith Croshaw) #16

I experienced strange behavior this weekend too. I think mine was presence induced. Notifying support now.

(DLee) #17

I can confirm one of my MyQ controlled doors opened by itself this morning. I was in the driveway when it happened. I don’t have any presence based or other automation to open the door but I do have have the app to close it on departure. I checked ST logs though and no event in ST sent the open command. I’m thinking it was a MyQ side glitch but there is nothing in the MyQ app history to confirm.

(Ron) #18

My garage door unit is a Linear GD00Z so I think the MyQ issues are unrelated to my issues.

I think the events might have come from the unit somehow. But it has stopped happening so I can’t really debug it.

If it starts happening again I plan to add some Action Log debugging so I can track what is happening.

(DLee) #19

I get similar false open activities from my Linear controller too. But only about once every 2 or 3 months. Each time the open status changes to closed exactly 15 minutes later. In all cases the door never actually opens though.

I mentioned my MyQ strange opening here since others were commenting on MyQ issues above.

(Ron) #20

Interesting, Mine send the close for the false open almost immediately. If I can determine it is the unit sending the events, I may code a smart app to set a timer and only report the open if a subsequent close didn’t immediately follow. But your case is impossible to fix, 15min later can’t really be ignored without ignoring real events.

[quote=“Dlee, post:19, topic:16109”]
I mentioned my MyQ strange opening here since others were commenting on MyQ issues above.
[/quote]Understood, I just tried to get the thread back on track :smile: