Failed Device (GE Zwave Switch): replacement causes other devices to fail? (again!)

ref: my old post

So… one of my enbrighten (formerly GE) by Jasco zwave light switch devices failed. It was a new one, that is zwave plus, and it was a replacement of an older model in the same position on the same circuit, that had also failed.

The failure this time mimicked how it happened last time: I noticed it was offline per ST hub. I then went to the switch to turn it on manually and it did not respond. Last time it was truly dead I think (I recycled it so cannot double check it now.) But this time, I flipped off my circuit breaker controlling it, left it off for 15 seconds, then re-enabled the circuit breaker. And guess what, the jasco switch works as expected!

So, that’s good. But… any ideas why it happened? (And any guesses if I had a fluke or should expect more issues with this switch…?)

This is the device in question (the latest model of this variety, which replaced an older model I had in there months ago):

Enbrighten Z-Wave Smart Rocker Light Switch with QuickFit and SimpleWire, 3-Way Ready, Works with Alexa, Google Assistant, ZWave Hub Required, Repeater/Range Extender, White & Light Almond, 46201

Jasco extended their warranty to 5 years in their switches. If you have any issues within this period of time give them a call and they will likely send you a brand new switch. I have had many switches with a date code of 17XX fail that I bought in 2018 that they replaced.

If the switch doesn’t work when pressed manually, it’s either a defective device or it’s a wiring issue.

If cutting and restoring it fixed it, it could be a loose wire or it could be surges on the line triggering a safety shutoff, and since you killed everything on that circuit at once, you might have removed the surge temporarily.

Work with Jasco support until it’s working reliably through manual operation. Then you can see if there are any remaining automation issues.

1 Like

thanks all!