Experience: CA3500 InTouch Wireless 15 Amp Split-Duplex Receptacle

(Mr B) #1

You can presently get a 6 pack of CA3500 InTouch Wireless 15 Amp Split-Duplex Receptacle’s from a seller on eBay who are putting them out for $99. Here are my experiences

1. They are detected and seen by the SM hub pretty easily. I found that after initial wiring the unit blinks red while it’s not connected to a Z-Wave network. The SM app spins and nothing happens. Then, if I pressed the local load button on the front, that seemed to get things going.

2. These units have a white led on the front to indicate the on-off status of the controlled outlet. The app does NOT control the LED at all. It doesn’t matter what you set it at, it just stays on whenever the load is on. I suspect the LED control is meant for the GE devices which you can do that on. Perhaps these units are controllable via z-wave options and the SM platform just needs updating

3. I installed the first CA3500 unit in my garage. I wired in a 110V relay and took a wire pair from the relay and piggy back soldered it to the microswitch inside my physical opener that’s by the entry door. I tried just having the relay wired in to the opener directly, but that shorted the smart panel which would reset while I was “pushing” the button from z-wave. So this solution worked nicely. The relay now simulates a real push of the real button and my panel keeps its clock and settings :slight_smile: The CA3500 worked flawlessly for this

4. I installed a second CA3500 in my Attic where I plugged in a window AC unit. It paired fine again. The smartthings app on/off button will control the outlet and the AC unit does go on and off. I did notice that the app fails to refresh the icon state in the main panel, even though the outlet is flipped. So you turn it off and it stays green. If you press the settings button in the right corner of the icon and then inside the settings thing hit refresh - it DOES pick up the new outlet state and reflect that, but you have to do that refresh step

5. I installed a third CA3500 in my bedroom where I have a different window AC unit, of a different brand. This did NOT work, and it wasn’t a faulty CA3500, I tried a few. I also tried this test with a different load to prove it was having trouble with the AC. After initial wiring and pairing, the app would flick the outlet on and the AC would fire up. If you then pressed the outlet off, the icon in the app would flash off for a second, then flash back to on (green) and the outlet would not flip state. I think it’s something to do with the CA3500 “local load detection” where the outlet tries to sense you want the appliance on and flips the state to on even though you are trying to turn it off. I wonder if the “local load detection” is a software configuration option via wave? Or maybe it’s a jumperable feature inside? I shall have to get my screwdriver out to investigate.

Bottom line: works with caveats.

(Mr B) #2

PS: I live in St Paul and would gladly give up one of these things to the smart things team if they don’t already have one :slight_smile:

(Andrew Urman) #3

Thanks for the offer! We have one in the office right now. The story behind these are that they are of an older Z-Wave version. So the same commands don’t always work, like the light.

They also have to be polled for their state periodically by the server, which is why you may not see the state change or it will take a longer time.

(Chrisb) #4

Please note: This user should not be confused with me… another chrisb… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: (I’m just glad you didn’t say you were from Grand Rapids, MN. That would have been too odd being that I’m from Grand Rapids, MI.

4) I installed a second CA3500 in my Attic where I plugged in a window AC unit. It paired fine again. The smartthings app on/off button will control the outlet and the AC unit does go on and off. I did notice that the app fails to refresh the icon state in the main panel, even though the outlet is flipped. So you turn it off and it stays green. If you press the settings button in the right corner of the icon and then inside the settings thing hit refresh – it DOES pick up the new outlet state and reflect that, but you have to do that refresh step

Did you notice at all if the app picked up changes when you physically turned the outlet on/off? I’ve noticed that (at least in Android) turned some GE/Jasco dimmer switches off will not register a state-change. Turning on always does, but turning off doesn’t. Wondered if the outlet does the same thing.

3) I installed the first CA3500 unit in my garage. I wired in a 110V relay and took a wire pair from the relay and piggy back soldered it to the microswitch inside my physical opener that’s by the entry door.
Do you have an open/closed sensor on the garage? If so you may want to changed the device type in the IDE. Change it to a Virtual Garage Sensor Button. This allows you to tap the open/close tile and then (using a SmartApp I wrote... it's in the shared app list) it turn on/off your outlet.

(Mr B) #5
Please note: This user should not be confused with me… another chrisb… (I’m just glad you didn’t say you were from Grand Rapids, MN. That would have been too odd being that I’m from Grand Rapids, MI.

I will give some thought to changing names since you got here first :wink:

Did you notice at all if the app picked up changes when you physically turned the outlet on/off?

When using the local load button (on the unit in my attic with the AC unit that actually works), both the tile and the full screen settings icon do register both on/off state changes.

In fact, as I test it more I’ve noticed the on command is always correctly shown on the interface. It’s the remote off that sometimes fails to update the interface.

Do you have an open/closed sensor on the garage? If so you may want to changed the device type in the IDE. Change it to a Virtual Garage Sensor Button. This allows you to tap the open/close tile and then (using a SmartApp I wrote

I do have the multi-sensor on the garage too. I have the “Garage Opener” app installed from the standard library. That allows me to press on the outlet tile that the relay is on and have the garage door open and then (usually *) have the off command automatically sent a couple of seconds later. Does your implementation differ a little?

• I’m not having much luck with most of the smart apps I have installed. Many just don’t work for me at all, and some work reliably for a day or two after a reboot. Thankfully the opener app is one that I’m having the most luck with. I will likely complain in another forum since this isn’t really the right place for that :slight_smile:

(Chrisb) #6
I will give some thought to changing names since you got here first

For a second I thought you were going to say that you were going to change your address by moving to GR, MN! :slight_smile:

In fact, as I test it more I’ve noticed the on command is always correctly shown on the interface. It’s the remote off that sometimes fails to update the interface.

When you say “remote off” do you mean turning it off at the outlet or via the app? With the Android app turning dimmers off at the switch it often doesn’t register in the app.

Does your implementation differ a little?

Only a little bit. Funtionally it works the same. Tap a tile, the outlet triggers on. 4 seconds later, the outlet is triggered off. However, instead of tapping the outlet, you actually tap the Virtual Garage Door Sensor Button Tile. Because I have two garage doors this meant there were 4 tiles for the two doors. One for the open/close sensor, one for the outlet. With this program I can “hide” the outlets in a folder at the bottom of my tiles so it’s taking up less real estate on the screen.

(Mr B) #7
When you say “remote off” do you mean turning it off at the outlet or via the app? With the Android app turning dimmers off at the switch it often doesn’t register in the app.

Yes local control is correctly reflected in the app icons for on/off cycling. WHen using the app to remotely turn on the outlet, the status is adjusted properly. When using the app to remotely turn it off, that’s when the failure to update the icon sometimes occurs.

(Radiogavin) #8

Hey there Chris B’s…

Great information from both. Love to here that the CA3500 is workable. I think that’s my next purchase.

Also, I am about to (attempt to) work some ST magic on my own garage doors, and your input is invaluable. Love the combining of tiles so there is one for each door. Will be using this app. Genius.

Cheers,

Rob Holtorff

(James Yong) #9

Just wired mine in the garage but couldn’t get it paired with the ST hub. Keeps blinking red. Tried pressing the “button” on it at an interval of 1s while “pairing mode” is enabled, no dice yet.

I think the signals are being relayed via a nearby zwave switch though, as I have other switches in the same range which seem to need that nearby zwave switch to be plugged in to operate.

(James Yong) #10

re-reply for email notifications

(Dave) #11

I’ve come back form Vera and am trying to pair a CA3500 and not having much luck. What device type are people using to pair this with ST?

(Mr B) #12

Mine are just standard z-wave switches. I did notice that pushing the little button on the unit seems to make pairing work more reliably. For me, at least.