Execution Location Local vs Cloud

I believe Bluetooth mesh has only been implemented for BLE (Bluetooth low energy), which would make sense. not the kind of Bluetooth that transmits music.

Edited to update

Confirmed: mesh and music are two different radios.

Mesh vs no mesh. Low energy vs audio. Lol, I’m starting to understand why it’s not activated on the hub for further use now.

All kidding aside, Bluetooth definitely does have a lot of potential for multiple uses. Thanks for sharing the articles to learn more.

1 Like

So back to the original question…
When can we expect custom DTH to be enabled to run locally?
Now that the latest beta version of the hub firmware is with us, and we can execute rules locally?
It kind of sucks that (in my case) all of my device triggers (Motion Detection etc) are Philips Hue devices, all of which cannot run locally!

Custom DTHs doubtful if ever. Local execution is predicated on the DTH being loaded in the hub firmware. Thats nit something i ever expect them to allow.

Phillips hue devices on a Phillips hue bridge run locally, but only the lights are exposed to smartthings that way.

One option is to connect Hue sensors to a hue Bridge, have the sensor going off turn on a hue light, and then have that hue light coming on trigger a smartthings event. Because there is a hue/smartthings local integration, but it’s only for lights connected to the bridge. So you have to use a light as proxy for a sensor if you want local operation with SmartThings.

I’m not saying it’s a great choice, but it is doable that way and quite reliable.

1 Like

I am not party to any information about the DTH replacement but it was suggested that it was going to be more amenable to local execution of custom code. Whether that will be from day one is another matter, as is the timing of day one.

I’d be surprised if more information doesn’t become available in the next few months.

2 Likes

It would make sense to move to local execution if the company’s goal is to use less cloud computing resources. They could potentially activate the useless USB port where users can add a cheap thumb drive to run optional custom code. Then they can keep their firmware separate and locked down without as many security concerns if the custom code was on the USB.

1 Like

My Philips hue devices (with a bridge) show up as CLOUD in my device list. Am I doing something wrong?

Are you using custom code? All custom code still runs in the cloud.

If you are not using custom code, and you have a smartthings hub, you will have two choices for how to connect. Either cloud cloud or locally. When you add the devices to your smartthings account, you will be given those two choices (with a smartthings hub or without). If you say with a hub, that will be the local Integration.

If you don’t have a Smartthings Hub, you have to use cloud to cloud.

I don’t know if there any regional differences.

1 Like