Everspring SP816

No, not necessarily.

The post that I linked to is just a good introduction to the concept of device handlers and also discusses how to navigate the IDE.

In your case, it’s possible that by reassigning the device handler to a generic z-wave motion sensor, it’ll work just fine.

If you read the post that I linked to carefully, you’ll see these step listed as part of the process of assigning a device handler to a physical device. In the context of that FAQ, the device handler is a custom one that the user has just created, but in your case you just want to assign a “correct” device handler that already exists in the list of handlers.

I don’t have one of those everspring motion sensors, so I don’t know whether it will work with a device handler that’s already in the ST database.

If not, it’s possible that someone has already developed a handler for it, and in that case you could follow the steps in the FAQ to add the community-developed handler and assign it to the device. Obviously you’d have to confirm that such a handler exists first.

Last resort is to create a handler from scratch, or to modify a similar existing handler, but that doesn’t seem to be an option for you.

To avoid issues like this, you might want to consider limiting your selection of devices to those that are on the official “works with SmartThings” list. For one thing, devices on that list should pair to your hub easily without a need for any of the above steps. And if you do run into any issues, tech support can help you when it’s an official approved device.