European Z-wave devices in the U.S.?

I’ve noticed that there are Z-wave thermostatic radiator valves made by a couple different companies, but they’re only available with European/U.K. Z-wave radios. See, for example:

Danfoss Living Connect Z-wave TRV or Eurotronic Stella Z TRV

Can anyone tell me if it’s possible for me to setup a U.K. ST hub here in the U.S. so that I could potentially use these TRVs? Obviously none of my U.S. Z-wave devices would work, and I would need a functional device type.

I realize that having a device with a Z-wave radio that operates on a frequency other than that approved by the FCC is potentially illegal. So let’s assume that I’m not actually planning to do this, I’m just wondering is it possible? Also is it possible to use a U.S. a/c adapter with a U.K. hub? Any other barriers I’m not anticipating? Any knowledgeable opinions are much appreciated, thanks!

Yes… But you might also need a separate SmartThings Account too. (I am not 100% certain, but I don’t know if one Account can accommodate Locations (Hubs) from different regions… But it won’t hurt to try that when you’re ready, look me up…)

1 Like

If necessary, I confirm you that a UK hub works very well in USA.

2 Likes

Just make sure the zwave frequencies for Europe are allowed in the US!

1 Like

I am in a symmetric position to yours, using a v1 US SmartThings Hub in Europe with US Devices.
No problem with battery-only operated Devices :

• the Hub power supply is universal 110-240Vac (you just need a socket adaptor)
  • considering the very low range of Z-wave transmitters, using a non-European frequency has a very very low probability of interference.

However, things become MORE TRICKY when you want to use AC-powered Devices, especially for power actuators/switches : some Device may be, for instance, 240Vac / EU frequency, and may NOT work with 110Vac / US frequency. And a power converter may not be an effective workaround, due to cost and maximum power (AC switches).

Considering your 2 thermostatic valves are both battery operated, you should not have any such problem.

But you won’t be able to mix US-frequency and EU-frequency Devices on the same ST Hub, and given the Z-wave frequencies are VERY close (868,4 MHz EU; 908,4 MHz US), having 2 ST Hubs with different frequencies at the same physical location may not work, due to radio interferences.
On the other hand, if it did work, you should not have any problem to have multiple ST Hubs assigned to the same Location, unless ST did something a bit too clever for tasks assignment in its cloud.

YMMV… :smile:

1 Like

Thanks for all the input. I’d probably try to avoid using European Z-wave devices as much as possible (other than the TRVs, obviously). At least if I use mostly Zigbee devices, they should work regardless of which hub I’m using (correct?). Not at the same time with two hubs, but if I were to scrap this idea entirely, then I would at least have Zigbee devices that could still be used with a US hub.

I think the biggest impediment in my case would be getting a functional device type. I have no coding experience and I doubt anyone has created a device type for either of these TRVs (at least not one that’s been shared on these forums).

In my limited experience, I find that many Z-Wave devices aren’t too complicated to integrate because they are designed to emulate a common device type (e.g., in this case, it may look “just like” a Z-Wave “Thermostat”); and you might get a lot further than you expect just by copying the Device Handler for a thermostat…! :sunny: