Can I use SmartThings in Germany?

Hi there,

I live in Germany and want to use this system in my home. I can order SmartThings with amazon.com. Do anyone know, if I can use the hub and other smartthings with the tech in Germany?
There would be so many usecases for SmartThings and really would love to order this tech.
Of course I know, that I have to use an european power connector :smile:

Thanks in advance!

@dasuew - the Z-wave standard is implemented on different frequencies in different parts of the world. The frequencies used in Europe do not match those used in the USA.

Whilst SmartThings did produce a European version of the hub, it was only in limited numbers for the European Kickstarter backers - they have not gone on to release it for general sale.

See this thread for details: http://community.smartthings.com/t/smartthings-and-europea-zwave/542

They have a new hub coming out next year, probably only for the USA / North America to begin with, but hopefully for other parts of the world some time later.

1 Like

@chuckles thanks a lot for your very quick response. I read the link you provided. That circumstances are really a shame. I am pretty sure that SmartThings would get a lot of fans in Europe! I really hope you will could delivier worldwide some day.
As far as I understood the other thread about this topic, this means I could buy a smarthub from the US and buy other smart things from the US too. This should work?! But if I try to connect some european Z-Wave devices and try to connect it to the US hub, it will not work. Is this correct?
And one last questions (at least for this post :wink: ), I could connect the US hub to an EU router? Am I right?

@dasuew - You’re welcome. Just to clarify, I’m a customer / Kickstarter backer of SmartThings, but I don’t work for them. My info comes from these forums and elsewhere, but I don’t speak for them.

Whilst you could buy a US hub and use US Z-wave devices, there are some considerations you need to be aware of:

1. The US hub will not have a European CE certification. My understanding
    is that, amongst other things, the European standards are stricter than the
    US FCC standards when it comes to max. transmission power and duty
    cycle.

2. German customs have, including very recently, been very strict in
    disallowing the import, including via mail/courier, of non-CE certified
    electronics. They have actually held parcels until the recipient has
    provided documentary evidence of such certification.

3. Many US Z-wave devices for operating mains power equipment
    (switches, dimmers, etc.) will only be rated for US mains voltages
    (110/120v).

You are also correct that European Z-wave devices will not work with a US hub.

The connection between the hub and the router is just a standard Ethernet UTP interface, so that bit will work fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really thought you were one from the SmartThings-Team :smile: Thanks again for your response.
With this facts in mind I unfortunatly will have to wait a little bit longer before I will purchase SmartThings. Hopefully they will come with full support to Germany. The community for home automation is growing very fast over here.
Maybe I buy just the hub and one device for playing around a little bit :wink:

Too bad, i just had the same idea. Any info if they plan on doing a european one?

1 Like

Anything new? Now where the CES is rolling? Are there plans to bring SmartThings to Germany?

To the best of my knowledge the situation remains as I’ve stated above. The v2.0 hub announced at CES is the new model I referred to in my first post, above. This is currently scheduled to be available in April but only for North America.

SmartThings have stated that they want to expand into other areas (e.g. Europe, Australia/New Zealand, etc.) but only after they have things working properly for North America. Now that they are backed by Samsung it should be much easier for them to support this expansion (and there is likely a larger internal imperative for such expansion as well), but there have been no announcements or statements as to when that may occur.

Well ZigBee devices are the same in both America and Europe, so if you just stick to those, then you’ll be able to use them when you get the European hub :wink:

Hey guys, I was at Samsung’s european forum in Monaco last month, where they announced Smartthings’ launch in Europe in 2015. No mention of a specific date. When I asked around (my company is a Samsung partner) I was told that there is no specific plan in motion yet (at least the europeans were not aware of a specific plan). So I guess they will be launching here towards the end of the year. Or maybe start of next year if there are delays (there usually are delays for a couple of months).

Hope this helps,
Nick

1 Like

Hi Nick. Thanks a lot for your intel! We really appreciate this. So unfortunatly we still have to wait and hope for an soon release. But it is good to see, that they still know we are out there :wink:

Just wanted to report that I imported UK V2 to Germany and it works beautifully. No issues or limitations whatsoever.

2 Likes

where did you get it from? I am in Germany too and can only find the v1 on the Currys site in the UK…

Bought it via Borderlinx concierge service at the Samsung online store.

Hey Forming,

I am from Germany too. I saw that it’s possible to order via ebay the V2 edition for round about 120€ including shipping.

My question. The language can only set as Irish or Britain, right? Are there any issues for using in Germany? Will it ask for creating an account where I am living? When I can’t choose Germany, maybe Weatherforcasts in the Software doesn’t work or fit.
At the moment I am using Devolo smart home and here the Weather forecast for my home appears at home screen in software.
Smartthings support can’t tell me when Release will be planed in Germany officially.

Hope you can help me with my question for using V2 I’m Germany.
Thank you and greetings!

Hey, there is no German interface. But again, works just fine in Germany. You can set any home location in the world within the app. Not sure what you mean by weather. ST doesn’t factor in weather. Location is just for geo-fenced actions.

I just added an amazon echo to my ST hub here in Germany. That one indeed has weather issues as I can’t lock in a location outside of the US. I’d still recommend an Echo to any ST user, even outside the US.

Thanks for the info! And what Kind of products do you use with this hub? Now I am interested again. I almost bought an Insteon System. But now I can check smartthings again. Can I plugin every product from they´re store and use it in Germany?

You can use any compatible product that is listed for the UK version. I am using a lot of different Fibaro stuff like motion sensors and roller shutters. I also have lifx and hue integrated. Also Sonos. Sensative Strips for Windows work fine as well. I Also have the Aeon siren.

Only pain are roller shutters. Smartthings refuses to support those properly.

1 Like

Hi, I live in Denmark. I bought a UK version and got it sent to forward2me.co.uk and they then sent it to me. (Cause Samsung UK only sends to UK).

Works perfectly well. You can do the same.

1 Like

Thanks again for all that informations. I think I will give it a try. I will post, when everything is set up. Cheers

1 Like