Enerwave ZWN-BPC Z-wave Ceiling Mounted, Battery Powered PIR Sensor

Again I use it in my stairwell and it senses motion at the bottom of the stairs easily. The default dip switch settings, or how it shipped, couldn’t even sense motion a few feet away. I was distraught at first, but then tried it set like this. Mine works quite well. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply! This is weird. I excluded and re-paired with the dip switches like yours and placed the sensor in a drawer for a half hour. It never shows anything but constant motion:

The activity log shows the following:

Finally here is what my device settings are:

Wondering if your settings look similar and what your activity log looks like? Maybe if I got a bum unit?

hmmm…here’s my screenshot…

try changing the device type to a door or switch sensor, then changing it back. On your screenshot of the device settings it didn’t look like the status for ‘motion’ was being displayed. Also, my activity log for it doesn’t say ‘woke up’ when there’s motion sensed. it just says ‘detected motion’…plus the ? mark leads me to think it isn’t communicating properly(wrong device type).

Hi

I took a chance and bought one of these, followed mcaustin2004’s instructions. It’s working well for me. Dipswitch settings are a little ambiguous, I have them both up, adjacent to their respective numbers. I think this means 100% sensitivity, but hard to be sure. Not getting a battery reading as yet, but perhaps that gets polled infrequently

Glad to hear others are having luck with this, but I give up. Tried removing and re-pairing multiple times.

Here are my steps:

1. Pair the device. SmartThings sees it as as “Z-wave Door/Window Sensor”.

2. Go to the graph and change the device type to a “Z-wave Motion Sensor”. (Also tried just the plain “motion sensor” and “Motion sensor capability” device types as well).

3. Place the sensor in a dark drawer and wait for 30 mins or so. The app continues to show “Motion”, and never “No motion”. The activity logs shows the device waking up at seemingly random intervals, but motion never stops according to the app.

4. Try changing back to a door/window sensor, then back to a z-wave motion sensor.

5. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

It’s frustrating because the green light on the sensor blinks when it detect motion, so I know it’s partially working. Just can’t get the dang thing to communicate properly with SmartThings. Changed batteries and everything, but still no luck.

I’m going to contact the top greener people and see if they can send a replacement.

Sorry to hear that engelwood…I hope you get one that works properly.

I’m on the fence on buying these or the nest protect. I am unable to determine if the nest offers smartthings an API to integrate. Anyone have thoughts between the two? I guess worst case I could use these in bathrooms I suppose.

If you’re looking at the Protect for it’s motion sensing then you will be disappointed. Nest doesn’t expose motion data via it’s API for either the Protect or the thermostat.

I purchased a few of these hoping it could operate similarly to an occupancy sensor since it’s pir but it seems to operate only as a motion sensor.

What I’m trying to do is only cool floors in my condo which are occupied so I’m guessing the best I can do is try to work with these on a really long timer.

Thoughts on a better solution?

Got a bunch of these too. Maybe we can flag @ben to take a look at this. Its a pretty neat device, but the device is definitely messed up.

Looks very easy to hack / hardwire up.

Kristopher

Flagged. @Wackware maybe we can send you some?

Ben,

Coordinate through Dan and I’ll see what I can do.

Twack

I’ve got one sitting in a drawer. Send me a PM and I’ll drop in in the mail tomorrow!

Just checking in on the status of this guy. I have many

I missed the Dev call - any progress on this @ben?

I got a new new sent to @wackware. We’ll see what comes of it.

At first blush it appears that it must be associated to other zwave devices to which it will send on/off commands to. It does not appear to send motion reports.

I’m wondering how it worked for anyone unless there was other firmware involved.

I’ll dig more tomorrow
Twack

Bummer. Please keep me updated. I’ll try to rip into mine a bit too. I saw a couple notes from folks on the Vera forums that didn’t seem to have much problem with it

What were the notes about?