Enerwave ZWN-BPC Z-wave Ceiling Mounted, Battery Powered PIR Sensor

Just random routing stuff - looked all nominal

There must be a couple of revisions. The doc that came with my devices talked about a ā€œredā€ light and there is none. It also talked about a test mode for motion and there is no way to get into the test mode.

Iā€™m not going to let this thing win. I will conquer it. :wink:

@wackware

3 Likes

Just pinging the thread here. Finally got a chance to try these again after itā€™s been stuck to the ceiling as a door/window contact sensor.

Did we figure out how to get it to properly report as a motion sensor?

Saw in amazon the following review

Verified Purchase
Works great with Smartthings. BUT after you add it to your network it will think its a open/close sensor. You must go into graphs and change the type of device it is. After that it works perfectly. Google search ā€œsmartthings graphsā€ if you donā€™t know what Iā€™m talking about.

No clue if those that have it have tested changing the device type and seeing how it behaves

According to the ST device code, which I just recently opened up for a generic ā€œZ-Wave Motion Sensorā€ ā€“ support for this device exists. However, the comments allude to a fact that pairing the device doesnā€™t always go so smoothly. Maybe thatā€™s the root of my problem.

Hi everyone, sorry for not posting anything here for a while. In working with Duncan, it looks like the device is real goofy during the pairing process. Sometimes it may work, sometimes not. It actually might have a better chance farther away from the hub. But,once paired itā€™s good to go.

Meanwhile, I am waiting to hear back from the device mfg/support folks. We need to get it to be more robust during pairing.

Just a thought. When a device is paired with ST, doesnā€™t configure() get run?

If the device type sents the wrong parameters to the the device, could the configuration of the device get screwed up?

I would suggest trying to do a factory reset of the device.

The problem is in the pairing process itself. It does finish pairing correctly.

I wish I had read this thread before I bought mineā€¦ I canā€™t get the thing to pair AT ALL. At least you guys are getting it to show up as something. I put fresh batteries in, press the black button, light goes on for at most a second and then just flashes when it detects motion. Hub discovers nothing. Iā€™ve tried adding it as a door sensor, as a motion sensor, just ā€œconnect new deviceā€ Iā€™ve tried it next to the hub, across my house, and in between. Iā€™m ready to smash it with a hammer. How did you guys add it in?

I can get it to add, once, and then thatā€™s it. I canā€™t figure out how to exclude it properly and then readd it.

Iā€™ve also noticed (I have a stack of about 10 of these), that if you set it up and move it, the routing breaks and the thing is useless again.

Pulling the batteries doesnā€™t seem to hard reset it. If you can figure out how to factory reset it, please do tell

It sounds like it thinks itā€™s already paired. Does it blink 3 times after quickly pressing button?

This random one I just picked up goes solid green for about 2 seconds.

http://enerlites.com/media/mconnect_uploadfiles/z/w/zwn-bpc_3.28.pdf

According to the documentation, that suggests its still paired to a network. ST canā€™t see it, so my gut says to exclude it. Iā€™ve never gotten that to work with this device correctly.

Yep, put St hub in exclusion mode. Then tap the button on pir. It usually happens right away.

I just tried this and nothing. Still blinks solid once. If it had been paired with somebody elseā€™s network before mine, would I be able to reset it?

Same thing for me. Canā€™t get it to exclude or include

The exclude mode does not need original paired hub. How long are you holding the button down on pir? Just tap it for a second or less. Same for paring. Holding down for more than a second is for programming mode which different.

These are very hit and miss for paring. Some might, most wonā€™t. Iā€™m still waiting on OEM to get this fixed.

So interestingly enough, it seems that I canā€™t include / exclude anything right now. I just tried a bunch of devices that are usually no brainers (RS100HC) ā€“ and I didnā€™t even get anything in the log. I wonder if we have an outage right nowā€¦

So that was at least part of the issue. Sending the ā€œrebootā€ command to the hub wasnā€™t doing anything. After cold rebooting it on the APC, now I can include / exclude again. Trying the PIR now

PIR working great now. I hate how I spent days on this ā€¦ and all I needed was a reboot on ST. Brutal

Edit: Just in case anyone else stumbles on this, Iā€™ve had to cold reboot my hub on every inclusion / exclusion of this model of PIR. The logs donā€™t reveal anything obvious as to why this is.

Just curious about the pir, how far from the hub were you when you paired it?