Ecolink open/close sensor not working on my gate, looking for suggestions/help

Have a zwave battery powered ecoline gate switch on the far side of house. I have several powered and plugged in zwave switches and an ecoline battery powered motion sensor that work great over there. The gate switch unfortunately won’t work there. Is there any way to figure out why it won’t use the repeater (plugged in zwave switch over there)?

If I go out in the street it works fine and I assume is using the hub. As I approach the gate it stops working - about a foot away :frowning: I’ve done many, many zwave repairs and even tried putting a zwave switch on an extension cord in the middle of the grass to see if I can get it working. It won’t use the repeater.

When I look at the recent events on my mobile the reporting is odd. As I get close to the gate and it stops working the recent activity says:
Checking connection
Connection is heathy
(Repeat three times)

Any idea what this means since can’t be right and if I exit out and come back in disappears in the log?

If I exit out of ST on my mobile app and come back in it says:
Socket is unhealthy (4 times)
Received new client registration
Registering with Client Connect
Registered with Client Connect

Any idea what this means? The date stamp is always the current time and there is no history of it doing it even if I look later which makes me think it’s a phony entry.

Going to try a Zwave Plus devise today to see if the extra range helps but would love to know what these status checks mean.

Bought a “zoos zwave plus” sensor and its horrible. It looses connection less than halfway the distance from the gate. My normal zwave one at least gets me almost there… so bummed I can’t get this solved!!!

Hi @Norman_Gennaro,

I’ve not seen messages like those in ST’s mobile app before. Can you share screen shots please?

Do you have more info on these Ecoline devices? I can’t find anything under that name, and I’ve not seen that brand discussed before. Did you mean Ecolink instead?

Yes. Sorry spell check got me.

1 Like

Cool. Can you provide more info on the gate switch cause I’m not familiar with that device, or do you mean an Ecolink contact sensor you have on your gate?

I have one of the contact sensors at my mailbox out by the road (~30ft from a GE exterior outlet), and I remember it was a little bit of a pain to get it to work. I joined it right next to the hub, and then slowly walked it out to the mailbox while at the same time using the magnet to open/close the sensor a few times right by each zwave outlet/switch in the garage, and then next to that exterior GE outlet before walking it out tot he mailbox. Sounds goofy, but that worked for me.

Yeah I was doing exactly the same to see how close I could get. It’s joined and I can get it to report as it’s close to the hub and literally right up to about one foot away from the gate. I have motion and zwave sensors further away but it won’t use it as a repeater despite multi zwave repairs. Tried a zwave plus sensor today but it has pathetic performance and was worse than what I had already.

What you need is a repeater between you gate and the hub. Most hard wired z-wave devices are repeaters. I not sure of any z-wave motion or contact sensor could do repeater.

Yeah I have three Aeon DSC06106-ZWUS - Z-Wave Smart Energy Switch in close proximity. I even put one on the lawn with an extension cord and ran zwave repair a couple times to see if that would work. Not sure why the motion uses the repeaters but the gate switch will not.

I didn’t see you mention about z-wave repair but just incase. You should do a z-wave repair in the ST Apps whenever you move a repeater to another location otherwise the other devices in that location won’t switch to the new repeater.

1 Like

Ok, so this clarifies things for me a bit. You’re trying to put an open/close sensor (not a switch) on a gate. Doing zwave repairs won’t help you with battery powered devices, but it would help if you moved AC powered devices (like the Aeon) around depending on where other devices were located when it rebuilds routing tables.

Are you mounting the contact sensor on the gate when it stops working, or still holding it? If you’re mounting it, perhaps the gate (if it’s metal especially) is interfering?

If all else fails, keep the sensor by the gate and pull the battery, wait 5 seconds or more, and put it back (forces a wakeup if I remember right).

Other options could be to try a different brand of contact sensor (including zigbee ones).

2 Likes

Got it, yes correct it’s a Open/close sensor. Appreciate you explaining the zwave repair.

The sensor stops working about a foot from the gate in my hands. I get each device is different and they won’t always act the same but it seems odd that my motion sensor which has more obstacles, works. Is there a way to see how a device is connecting? I have a powered zwave switch in an outlet about 5 feet from this gate that works and it seems this sensor is not using that repeater (when I move further away from it and towards the street the open/close sensor works so I suspect it’s using the hub still to connect).

When I look at the recent events on my mobile the reporting is odd. As I get close to the gate and it stops working the recent activity says:
Checking connection
Connection is heathy
(Repeat three times)

Any idea what this means since can’t be right and if I exit out and come back in disappears in the log?

If I exit out of ST on my mobile app and come back in it says:
Socket is unhealthy (4 times)
Received new client registration
Registering with Client Connect
Registered with Client Connect
and the sensor does not report status correctly.