Ecobee 3 new user

I’ve looked through the old posts and really can’t come up with what would be best. If someone knows a post that may answer the majority of my questions, please point me in that direction.

I just bought the Ecobee 3 over the weekend because of the sale. Got it at $200 from Best Buy. My questions are:

1. I’ve checked to ensure wiring compatibility and will shut down power to my home unit, but before I install; is there anything else I need to make sure I do?

2. What apps are out there and what do they do differently? I’ve looked through the Climate Control section of the ST Marketplace. Do these work with the Ecobee or would others apps work better?

3. Any other tips/tricks of the trade?

1. Not really. Take a picture of any wiring on the old thermostat or the wiring within your furnace if or prior to doing any modifications. Double check to make sure power is turned off.

2. I utilize StrykerSKS device type of the nice “control panel.” You should be able to do a search and there will be install directions. You can utilize the official connection app via the ST Marketplace.

3. Just an FYI…while the sensors can show “motion,” they are not designed for the real-time detection of motion, so I wouldn’t utilize them for anything where you need real-time actions.

4. Enjoy!

1 Like

@yvesracine
has a whole series of smartapps for the ecobee3 which are very popular. (Many are also officially-approved by Ecobee, he has worked closely with them.) You might take a look at those.

You can quick browse the community-created smartapp section of this forum for all HVAC smartapps using the quick browse lists in the community-created wiki. :sunglasses:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

or you can go directly to yves’ section in the wiki:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Category:Unpublished_SmartApps

1 Like

Hi @nathanendress, if you want to unlock all ecobee rich APIs features, please refer to this thread:

Regards.

EDIT: Thnx @JDRoberts!

1 Like