DoorBot v2.0 - now called ring video doorbell

Yeah, I just thought that too!

This is awesome news - now Iā€™m convinced not to purchase it. Thanks for relaying message from mfg.

I got this back from a Ring employeeā€¦ make of it what you will:

Finally ring will have live video. Question now is can it be used to stream into smart tiles?

"This is our #1 most requested feature and it starts rolling out today. Those of you with current Ring Video Doorbells that have connected them to the wires will be able to access Live View starting today. Live View will also be available on Ring Pro.

Battery powered Ring will have Live View enabled in the next 1-2 months."

So for this to work the ring have have to stay connected to the wifi. I have my ring hard wired but those using batteries, I canā€™t imagism the battery will last that long.

It stays connected to WiFi all the time anyway but in either case the stream isnā€™t constant.

As of now, thereā€™s still no way to access the camera outside of the Ring app so no chance of SmartTiles integration at this time.

Ring is getting live video on demand? Do you have a press release any links about this? thx!

It has been in beta for a few months now and they just announced it officially today, I got it through an email:

Introducing Live View

This is our No.1 most requested feature and it starts rolling out today.
Those of you with current Ring Video Doorbells that have connected
them to the wires will be able to access Live View starting
today. Live View will also be available on Ring Pro.

Battery powered Ring will have Live View enabled in the next 1-2 months.

They also announced the Ring Video Doorbell Pro, see this thread for more info:

ST could take some lessons from the Ring folkā€¦ I remember the first posts about this product and how it was rated the worst piece of crap out there. Then, as time went on, thing slowly improved albeit, rating were still very low. Eventually, I felt the posts about Ring were positive enough that I jumped in both feet first. Never regretted it. While I may have had some problems along the way, their support was responsive AND LISTENED. A year+ ago I would have rated it 1 star (based on other reviews) now it get at least a 4 star rating and still climbing. ST take note :slight_smile:

So I have the Ring door bell, I received the same announcement, my system is hardwired and I downloaded the latest upgradeā€¦ and for the life of me I can not figure out how to get live viewā€¦ anybody have this working yet?

Despite seeing a Ring app update yesterdayI donā€™t see the live view option on mine either.

@kenchi Thank you, I could not understand what I must be doing wrong :confused:

Did the latest app note anything about Live View yet? Iā€™m not sure it has quite been released to the masses yet but so long as you are hardwired (battery is coming later) go into your actual doorbell device under the ā€˜My Devicesā€™ page and you should see it there:

If your motion sensor or doorbell button hasnā€™t been pushed in a while, go out and push the button and wait a bit (hours, I donā€™t knowā€¦) but pushing the button triggers a firmware check/update.

Iā€™m not sure about you wired people, but batter the ring ABSOLUTELY does DC from the wifi and shut off when not in use.

So I am using iOS and I donā€™t have that option yet as well. I did open a ticket today asking why I donā€™t have this option yet. My guess an update on the ring needs to take place to keep the wifi live and not time out as it did in the past. I am using the iOS 3.1 version and my ring has a Firmware of 1.6.62. @Benji can you share what firmware you are using, being yours looks to work on android.

Iā€™m in the same boat. They actually updated the Ring app in the App Store yesterday, but the new version doesnā€™t have the Live Video button.

Downloaded the latest Ring Apps (Android and iOs) this AM (no idea what version. Where do you tell?) but my FW is 1.6.76. Neither mobile devices have the Live view option. Just reset my Motion parameters and pressed the door bell to save it. Lets see if the FW updates over the next few hours

Itā€™d be a bonehead move to have LiveView in the app if the firmware isnā€™t updated to support it yetā€¦maybe its just hidden until it updates?

1 Like

Yes as mentioned you may need to press the button on the doorbell to initiate a firmware check/update, otherwise they havenā€™t quite pushed it to all doorbells just yet.

Patience people, they just announced it yesterday.

Yes but FW version have you got with this Live View option you showed above??

Same as you but thatā€™s not to say they might have another firmware update coming.