Dome Water Shut Off Valve

Let’s play nice kids. The beauty of these systems Is that it’s not one size fits all. Each of us make choices and are happy with them. Given my choice of Dome and the subsequent service we are seeing from them in way of a handler, and instruction guide I’m still quite pleased with my decision - even if I paid $40 more. To me - the set up I have is a better set up since I don’t have to cut into pipes again should the D.C. motor fail (and it will eventually on any unit). The decision to plumb the acutiaor in is perfectly valid and appreciate the vigor in which it’s being supported. Neither decision is right or wrong. It just is.

As I said different strokes for different folks.

1 Like

Looks nice! Similar to how the Zooz and EcoLink work. I’ve seen some feedback on the EcoLink that it sometimes doesn’t close all the way, so hopefully the Dome somehow fixes that. I’m also not sure how well it would work on PEX pipe since it isn’t as stiff as copper.

1 Like

@Automated_House Dome Water Main Shut-Off addresses closing issues by adjustable valve handle grip, stronger mount and double clamps to prevent twisting during operation. Dome Vale also have more torque to support bigger ball valves. With any of those products it is critical to align the motor with the ball valve during installation. Refer to this Set-Up Guide for more information. For the PEX pipe - as long as you have ball vale it should be find. Dome Shut-Off mounts right by the connection between PEX pipe and valve where the PEX pipe is very stiff.

2 Likes

Good to know. Can it also be used on a gas valve?

@Automated_House, it can work on any metal quarter-turn valve with the handle, but it should technically NOT be used on gas valves. Our motor makes tiny sparks inside, and for gas applications, you want a motor that either doesn’t make sparks or is completely enclosed.

5 Likes

I do not see the Dome unit having an issue with partially closing valves if it’s installed correctly and the clamps are tight. It’s articulates a full 90 degrees. I did consider pulling the screws on the handle cradle and putting locktite blue on them. Play on the cradle or the clamps could cause partial action of the unit for sure.

Installed mine tonight on my water heater, and it’s workin’ like a champ!

All installation instructions (both DH and unit) were clear and thorough.

I’m a bit paranoid about cranking the clamps down hard right on my copper pipe, so I may try slipping in a thin rubber sheet around the pipe as a buffer, but we’ll see.

I paired it to a ST water sensor - no problems with that.

Kudos to the product team - this is a nice unit!

1 Like

I have the ST water sensor and the Dome shutoff valve installed - Looked at the ST Automation options, but do not see any selection that will automate the valve shut-off if water is detected. What did you do to pair them? Is the sequence automatic ?

I used the standard ‘Smart Home Monitor’ feature of the app.

Check out this post from Matthew from up earlier in this same thread here - use those DH Handler and DH Install Guide links to get it all automated. Works great!

Actually if this is true and it was recognized as a water sensor and not a valve, it is a major problem, because it will not shut the valve.

It is in Smart Home Monitor, ( The main dashboard ) not in the routines or automations.

“Paired” was perhaps a bad word choice… What I meant was that I am using a SmartThings water sensor to trigger the shut-off action, versus a Dome-branded water sensor.

At any rate, the whole thing is working as-advertised (based on my test of dribbling some water under the ST water sensor).

1 Like

Chris - thanks! I got several responses from the community. I am all set - works perfectly.

Rocky

1 Like

Brian - you nailed it for me. I was using the “Automation” section - not ‘Smart Home Monitor’ .

Thanks !!!

Rocky
1 Like

I can’t upload a video to the forum (maybe I’m too new and not yet able to share video) so I put this on YouTube. As you can see I have multiple water sensors (one in the video but two are in the Smart Monitor currently) and two Dome water shut offs running. There is no play in the Dome unit at all upon triggering.

5 Likes

@iamRocky, I’m glad you were able to get everything working - let me know if there’s anything else holding you up! And @616fun, @Hydro, and @RLDreams, thanks for chiming in =)

@616fun, thanks for sharing that video! We spent so much time between beefing up the gearbox, going through iterations of the mounting mechanism, and other variations that it makes me really happy to see others appreciate it!

Mike

2 Likes

@616fun Good work, thanks for the video!

1 Like

I posted a question over at Amazon (I see you posted there Brian) although it hasn’t shown up just yet.

I presume this device has plenty of torque? I have two hot water tanks and the shut-off valves are pretty stiff.

I am already monitoring the tank trays with a SmartThings Water Sensor and I’m ready to move to shut off valves. I just wish I could put it on my mains but I can’t.

I’m using it on a Sharkbite valve that I installed ~4 years ago when I put in a new water heater, so the valve isn’t too old, but it’s not brand-new either.

The Dome motor handles it very easily - it smoothly goes full-stop to both open & closed positions, and the mounting system seems to be very stable. I’m very pleased with this purchase.

1 Like

I installed new ball valves, so I can’t speak to it’s ability to turn a ‘sticky’ valve, but note that in the video I posted there is no ‘groaning’ at the start of the motor. That’s the sign of the motor not being powerful enough as it ramps up the torque. From the start it produces the same sound, which to me, says it’s putting out plenty of torque.