Difference between IFTTT, Stringify, WebCore, Device Handlers and SmartApps

I’ve been reading about all of them but just cant seem to wrap my head around all of them. It seems like i can make any IFTTT statements i want with stringify, but then i see people using IFTTT in a stringify command…

SmartApps seem like things that nateivly work with smart things where WebCore and Device handlers do custom commands that are either outside the norm or dont work at all and customer configurations are needed to be made.

Any clarity at a BASIC level would be greatly appreciated.

The reason i ask this is im trying to start with Stringify and learning to do what i think should be a simple interaction now that im getting some of the basics down (been reading all day) but ive reached a bit of a haulting point. I posted over on the Stringify boards which operate a lot like this one however they dont seem as active. If you are a stringify guru and want to help a beginner any guides that could help with my issue or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Heh i might be overwhelming myself with all these different directions but wanting to understand them at a basic level to understand HOW and WHEN i should use one over the other. Below is what im trying to do:

If this is all you need, “set it to when the smart plug its plugged into turns on, a timer starts and after 30 minutes it turns off.” Then, look no further than SmartThings’ own Simple Lighting.

The reason why people use IFTTT is to tie together devices that are not available in SmartThings, if you need more complex rules, then use Stringify to string together compatible and non-compatible SmartThings devices. If you have all devices in SmartThings, then basic rules are covered by Smart Lighting (biggest advantage for that, is local processing makes things run faster). What doesn’t work in Smart Lighting or if you don’t feel like creating 100 instances, then use webCoRE.

For your use case, this is all you need (assuming your smart plug is connected to SmartThings)

…or if using new app:

1 Like

that was what i initially tried but couldnt find an option like that. Maybe its because you have the old smartthings app and i have the new one since mine doesnt look like your picture.

I went to the Automation section of the SmartThings app, clicked add routine. Selected "Turn off these lights or switches. Selected the Samsung smart switch i have. Then theres an addtional setting "Automatically perform “Turn off Flat Iron” and i go into it to find "After number of minutes but its not an option. The closest thing to that is “At a certain time” but that only offers times of day and on certain days.

Either its a different app you are using or im missing something lol.

nevermind its a SmartApp called lighting automation. i found it and get it now. thanks!! :slight_smile:

Got it working, shame its not located in the automation section to review. Seems like since its automating something it should be there haha.

2 Likes

WebCoRE gives you a programming-like interface that allows you to create extremely sophisticated automation and routines. I use it to do simple things because I know it and I like the interface but I initially started using because I needed to create complex routines that I couldn’t easily create using ST or existing SmartApps. There’s a community forum with examples if you want to take a look and see if it’s something you need or want to pursue.

https://community.webcore.co/

I’d be lost without it.

4 Likes

For future reference, the app is called Smart Lighting, the instance that Smart Lighting creates is called Lighting Automation. I updated my previous post to reflect both apps…

2 Likes

Did you read the complex rules FAQ? It should help (this is a clickable link)

IFTTT, Stringify, and yonomi are rules mechanisms created by three separate companies, and none of these companies are part of SmartThings. However, all three of these have provided some integration with SmartThings.

“Smartapps” are code which runs directly on the SmartThings platform, usually in the SmartThings cloud. Some were created by SmartThings staff, some are created by community developers. Anything which is called “custom code” is not officially supported and runs in the smartthings cloud.

Webcore is a custom smartapp whose author was later hired by smartthings for their own staff.

3 Likes

Also, the difference between device handlers and smartapps is spelled out in somewhat excruciating detail in the following popular FAQ: :sunglasses:

3 Likes