Devices we don't have

At present Canary, by design, doesn’t integrate with anything else. (I suspect they’re trying to simplify customer support and reduce liability since it’s a security device.) So you’d need to talk to them first.

Our focus is on making Canary the best and simplest security product experience available. In the future, we will consider the possibility of integrating with other smart devices in ways that add significant value to our users…Our approach to security is to simplify and remove all the extra hubs, tags, sensors, and keypads that complicate the installation and daily use of most security products. We believe that a standalone device with the right combination of features and advanced intelligence can provide all the information necessary to understand and secure your home.

Telguard GDC1 Garage Door Control Switch. I have this on my SmartThings Hub and it works great but it should automatically look like a Garage Door.

Here is a YouTube video of it being added to SmartThings

1 Like

@terryhonn I strongly agree with you. Amazon really did a nice job with this device. Echo is my favorite device in my home, it will only get better. I can’t believe how fast it is. Now that I see how well it controls my WeMo and Hue Lights it’s really getting me excited about what’s to come. The app is very well thought out. If you spend a few minutes with it you’ll have it down in no time. If you have any issues, questions, complaints email their customer service. You will receive an answer and I feel like they actually care. You can tell they read and take time to respond. They should have released a white version as well. I have friends that actually won’t buy it until they do so, so I assume there are others who feel the same way too. Once Echo creates an IFTTT channel their back order list is going to be crazy.

My typical morning I wake up and have Echo turn on some lights, I get a news brief while in the shower, play a little music, check the weather, and then add something to either a shopping/to do list etc. It really comes in handy.

Amazon Echo integration.

3 Likes

Iris has a zwave certified glass break sensor. This is NOT a contact sensor, you mount it on the ceiling or another wall and it listens for a specific acoustic pattern. I’m pretty sure this one is a rebrand of the Nortek (Linear) GB00-1. Cost is $40. Device class is “sensor alarm,” the same as a flood sensor or smoke detector. On Iris it pairs as a “glass break sensor.”

http://www.lowes.com/pd_567900-78427-GB-00Z-1_0__?productId=50217433

As far as I know there aren’t any glassbreak sensors that currently work with SmartThings, so this would be nice to have.

2 Likes
1 Like

Just seen the skydrop today at Lowe’s. It looks to be a great gadget.

Aeon Labs newest Gen5 MultiSensor 6 is being released by Aeon Labs this month (May 2015). I already pre-ordered one from Amazon sold by the Smartest House. This MultiSensor has been completely redesigned using two CR123A batteries or USB Power, Sensors that can record down to minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit mounted outside, and much more. I’ll probably be buying 3 in total.
See: http://aeotec.com/z-wave-sensor
Jim

1 Like

I just wanted to post for anyone interested that Creatability Concepts makes several devices for healthcare field. They take existing devices and incorporate ZWave. Exampels of devices are Medication dispensers that signal when tilted, Pressure pads to signal when someone is in wheelchair or bed, toilet sensors for sensing when toilet flushes (we haven’t tested this one to see if it works) etc.

2 Likes

Also we are interested in toilet flushes so I thought that it would be a simple enough idea to just stick an Everspring Flood detector probe into the tank… it seems that it is really good for going from Dry-Wet (what it is supposed to do), but not responsive when WET (for long time) to dry. I assume that there is some capacitance to prevent noise etc.

Neat. Do you have any links for this? I can’t find it on their website.

Send an email to steve@createabilityinc.com and let him know that I (Jeff May) sent you.

A big one is wall mounted remotes. I have two Aeon mini remotes but there are obvious limitations there.

No question, this is a big need. Much discussion In the forums. There are three popular options: a wall mount tablet dashboard, the SmartenIT battery powered 3 toggle switch, and the 7 button wired Enerwave SC7. All look good on a wall. But we could definitely use more choices. See:

1 Like

I want to bump the request for a natural/explosive gas detector. There are zero explosive gas detectros with Z-Wave/Zigbee/WiFi currently available, with one coming soon: http://www.orvibo.com/prolist/en/39-1.html#

A dedicated ST natural gas sensor, similar to the moisture sensor (small, battery powered) that could be placed near water heaters, furnaces or ranges would be a huge plus for home safety!

I found a few on a Google search…like this one, although they might all be the same one:

http://www.shop-wifi.com/wzb-sgs920-zigbee-wireless-natural-gaslpg-detector

But, I’m not sure it works with ST, even with a custom device type. Others would have to chime in on that.

But, I COMPLETELY AGREE that we need this. It is a danger that is not currently covered.

1 Like

A decent coffee maker… Should be able to grind, brew and be programmed. Perhaps ST can fund it and name it…SmartCofeee… :slight_smile: simple people have simple needs…Samsung doesn’t make coffeemaker?

1 Like

There are a number of zigbee natural gas detectors. As long as they use the HA profile (and the ones made for hotels typically do), they should work.

That said–ideally, just as with smoke detectors, these should be mains powered with a battery backup.

Also, for technical reasons they won’t be as small as the moisture detectors, more likely about the same size as a typical smoke detector.

But they should be able to work with SmartThings just as the CO detectors do. A custom device handler might be required.

Not officialy supported (and nor it will be) and rarely works well…

I know the Linear GD00Z Garage door Controller is supported but how about putting it in the device list to make it easier to setup? I had trouble finding it but then it worked fine.