Device Handler for GE Dimmer Switches with Settings for All Options

Question for everyone, uncertain if I am experiencing an issue or if it’s working as designed. I have an on/off GE switch that I have the on/off device handler for, I am trying to use this switch to control my basement lights which are a GE dimmer which I also have the device handler for.

My issue is this, I am trying to do a group 3 association where my on/off switch will turn off my basement lights with a double tap. The on/off switch is my stairwell, the master switch is at the bottom of the stairs, the add-on switch as at the top of the stairs. The double tap works when I physically press the master switch, but double tap does not work on the add on switch that is the slave switch to the master switch at the bottom of the stairs.

(also the double tap tiles do not work within the smartthings app when I select the switch)

Bug?

Thanks

Newbie, so it took me a while to figure out how to get the GitHub integration done and the DTH imported, but I now have it applied to my 14291 (Z+ on/off) and 14294 (Z+ dimmer) switches. Thanks!

However, there’s something wrong with the preference tiles. When I try testing in the simulator, i get three tiles and two have no legend, and when I click the gear, i get a bunch of unlabeled controls. When I click on the device in the app, something flashes on the screen and then disappears; I don’t get a preferences screen like on other handlers.

Also, I don’t see a handler for the 14287 (Z+ fan) switches. I’ve tried using the dimmer one since they seem similar in function, but it doesn’t work completely. Here’s the raw description I see in the API:
zw:L type:1108 mfr:0063 prod:4944 model:3131 ver:5.22 zwv:4.54 lib:03 cc:5E,86,72,5A,85,59,73,26,27,70,56,2C,2B,7A role:05 ff:8400 ui:8400
If you don’t have one, I’m happy to do whatever testing you need to get it worked out–but please be patient since I’m a newbie and still learning what you’ll need or how to get it.

In general the simulator doesn’t work very well. And as for the device Handler, unless you are trying to do something special, the default one works fine. It also is processed locally which usually means it’s faster than a custom device Handler.

For the dimmer the standard device type is just “Dimmer Switch”, for a non dimmer standard device type is “Z-Wave Switch”.

Hello, I’m trying to achieve a gradually turn on and off for GE Dimmer. It seems to work fine with the actual switch or from my phone. But it does not have the same effect when it’s activated with a motion sensor. Any reason why?

Thanks

See this thread. It talks about what your asking.

It’s going to point you back here to get the DTH. But it also explains how and why.

I figured it was best to ask on the actual thread instead of the one that I started it. :slight_smile:

So you asked the same question again, AFTER you received an answer for it in your original thread???

1 Like

No, I’m asking a new question. The thread that I started guide me in the right direction (this handler and how to install it). Now I’m having trouble with the actual handler.

UPDATE on my question/issue: I narrow down the problem (it has nothing to do with the motion sensor). When Creating a new Lighting Automation If I select “Turn On” it works fine (the lights gradually turn on), but if I use “Turn On & Set Level” it seems the setting from the Handler are bypassed and I lose the gradual turn on or off.

Hey thread. So I don’t know if this DH is what I need.
So I’m fine with the dimming if I turn on/off the light via the wall switch or app.
But if I use the slider in the ST app, use a voice command via Dot or have a trigger change the level it ramps up/down directly to the level. It doesn’t dim up/down.

I was thinking this DH would give me the missing dim up/down. But this isn’t happening, am I mistaken to what this DH is doing or are my settings way off?

Anyone got any recommendations?

I hope someone can help. I have this device handler installed in my kitchen. The main kitchen light dimmer switch and add on switch are running an association with another dimmer that controls my new LED under cabinet lights. I have the double tap set to turn on and off my overhead kitchen sink light. Everything turns on and off perfectly. where I run into an issue is with dimming from the main kitchen light. Dimming at the physical switch also dims the associated cabinet lights dimmer switch as well. anything that can be done to only allow the association to allow for on/off?

Newb question… How do I install this? I created a new device handler, pasted the code… Saved and published…

In the IDE go to Devices and for your device edit and change the handler to the one you just manually created.

The handler works great . On the desktop website, I can configure the rate and timing of how the switch brightens the lights. However, the switch controls are not visible in the latest SmartThings (not classic) app.
In fact, when I open the switch’s controls there’s no way to navigate back in the UI - I need to restart the app if I want to use it. Anyone else experiencing this?

I’ve got this handler installed and having a new issue. Lights turn off fine. However when button is pressed up to turn on, the lights turn on to 1% instead of 100% or the last brightness. Any idea which setting I need to fix?

I’ve installed @nuttytree DTH and made changes to only the All On/off settings but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. I’ve tried it on multiple of the GE lights dimmer switches I have. I’m trying for more of an “instant” on/off rather than the dimming. Setting the all on/off parameters to 1 and 1, or 10 and 10, didn’t seem to do anything at all. It looked to me like it was going on and off at the same speed.

FYI this device handler has stopped working. I no longer can see the double tap buttons in the device. Also none of my Smart Lighting Smartapps function, nor can be edited or deleted.

Is this related to the new device handler architecture? Or???

Mr.smith

I would bet money it’s related to the same issue that the Inovelli Switches saw:

@nuttytree Chris are you still maintaining this?

2 Likes

The problem I reported seems to have been fixed with today’s ST app update. It works as it should now.

Well shucks. I think I found a new issue with this DH. See the attached screenshot. The On/Off values are not appearing when I edit the device in a scene. Thoughts?