[DEPRECATED] Samsung TV support in SmartThings?

just adding to this that I am struggling with a samsung ue32h4500ak.
it detects the TV which is great but actually triggering doesn’t seem to work…

Yep as mentioned by @HughB the first time you press a ‘button’ on the app for the TV, the TV should pop up with a message that asks if you want to allow the remote device, you need to accept this.

If you don’t get the message there was talk of a ‘remote management’ option somewhere in the menus being disabled which you might need to change.

What model is your TV?

Amazing, worked fine for me on my 32" tv.

Can you trigger an action on the TV from routines; such as reduce volume if after 23:00?

Also, anyone made any custom code to start any of the smart apps (launch netflix etc…).?

Cheers!

Possibly, you’d probably have to right a SmartApp to do this but the biggest potential issue I could see is that the hub/TV doesn’t take to well to quick button presses in the ST app for the TV remote, so you’d have to have some sort of delay in the app between each button press.

I moded the code to bring up the guide last night which works so far. From what I can tell the tizen tv’s will use the same commands so should work too. I can’t get an on command to work yet but will keep trying.
If you press lots of buttons the tv won’t respond quickly as they seem to get cued while the tv’s and hub perform ack/nack comms

As far as I have researched, it’s absolutely impossible to turn on the TV by any means other than an IR command. It would have been nice if it either supported Wake-On-LAN (AKA Magic Packet) or if it just left the NIC in a super lower power mode, enough to respond to an on command from apps such as this one or the official Samsung ‘Smart View’ app…

The (expensive) solution is to never use standby, and use a SmartThings compatible power socket to turn the TV on/off.
My D8000, and the new J ranges I use at work all return to last state when power applied from the socket - so they turn on if they were turned off at the wall once power is applied.

You may also have to stop the TV from going into power save - just sending a command every 59 minutes should do it, there must be a command that doesn’t interrupt viewing. A quick vol up/vol down would bring the volume display on screen, maybe something like pressing “green” would work?

2 Likes

Yes… that would technically work :smile:

Think it would probably work out cheaper to just get some sort of Z-Wave IR emitter or go the Harmony route.

I’ve got a UE32J5500 (2015) and it’s detected, but nothing works. Looking the in the logs, it says TV not found…

Not sure what’s going wrong

Mine tends to repeat that in the logs even though it works fine. We’re still not sure if it works with J series (Tizen OS) based TVs. You might try and see if there are any options in the menu about ‘remote management’ and play with those.

I think I’ve figured out what it is. The newer TVs use Web sockets for their communication and currently the SmartThings hub doesn’t support this.

I read it elsewhere on this community. Perhaps @Aaron can confirm?

It’s probably so the hub doesn’t get overwhelmed since Web sockets are a constant connection. You could though setup a server which accepts http commands and translates them into Web socket commands

I successfully connected an older tv (old as far as Samsung is concerned anyway as they expect people to change their tv as often as a mobile phone!).

Anyway, anyone one else who’s been successful but had issues triggering events? whole premise was to trigger lighting when tv is on/off rather than control the channels etc. Ideas or suggestions?

Hey Everyone,

Pretty new getting in to smart things, this was my first adventure outside the box standard. Thank you for your explanations.

My TV is a UE37ES6300, code works great.

I wonder about this not being able to turn the TV on via Ethernet. I have come home a few times to find the TV turned on with a blank screen no audio. I was wondering it this was turn on via Ethernet to do some form of updates. no idea how long the TV had been on for etc but it was defiantly on! It had to be turned off then back on to access the tv channels.

Cheers Polaris

Similar to others, SmartThings found my TV (2014 H) and installed the device type. But, I never got the PIN request to allow external control. The app comes up and takes keypresses, but they do nothing.

There is a menu on the TV (System - Remote Management) that issues an 8-digit PIN that seems to be for Samsung support. This didn’t seem right, but I went that route and took the ST device through Guided Setup again, but still no PIN request.

Any advice on how to force the PIN/ExtCtrl process? Thanks!

It would be awesome if it could but as far as I can tell, HDMI-CEC / IR are your only options.

Has anyone been able to build off the device type to include the function of the “Smart Hub” or “More” buttons on the samsung smart tv remotes?

Forgive my ignorance but I have not actually had any experience with installing smartapps in this way yet, I have added it from the template library and published it, now what do I actually have to do to get it to work? Modify the code in any way or should it appear on my list of devices when I select add devices now? any clarification appreciated.

Edit : I’ve got it connected but like others have said it doesn’t work, after I a add the tv none of the actions actually do anything unfortunately and it doesn’t ask for authentication or anything.

Hi All

I try to copy/implement these settings but I always stuck with an error:“java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘hub’ on null object @ line 125 “
My line 125 is: d = addChildDevice(“smartthings”, “Samsung Smart TV”, dni, newPlayer?.value.hub, [label:”${newPlayer?.value.name}”])

Here are the logs from smartthings.com:

597d089d-9db8-479a-aadc-5669d138537a ‎9‎:‎10‎:‎22‎ ‎PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘hub’ on null object @ line 125

597d089d-9db8-479a-aadc-5669d138537a ‎9‎:‎10‎:‎22‎ ‎PM: trace dni = C

597d089d-9db8-479a-aadc-5669d138537a ‎9‎:‎10‎:‎22‎ ‎PM: trace newPlayer = null

597d089d-9db8-479a-aadc-5669d138537a ‎9‎:‎10‎:‎22‎ ‎PM: trace Adding childs

597d089d-9db8-479a-aadc-5669d138537a ‎9‎:‎10‎:‎22‎ ‎PM: trace Updated with settings: [selectedsamsung:C0A80072:1DFC]

597d089d-9db8-479a-aadc-5669d138537a ‎9‎:‎10‎:‎12‎ ‎PM: trace Verifing…

597d089d-9db8-479a-aadc-5669d138537a ‎9‎:‎10‎:‎12‎ ‎PM: trace Discovering…

597d089d-9db8-479a-aadc-5669d138537a ‎9‎:‎10‎:‎12‎ ‎PM: trace Devices discovered [C0A80072:1DFC:[TV]Samsung LED55]

Any Idea? Anybody?

Sorry, I am not a developer, and I am lost a littlebit.

Thanks for the help

Same result as many others, no prompting for a PIN on pressing of any button, HU7500 so 2014 model.

Tried the myTifi iOS native app as a reference and that works fine, the PIN came up on screen

Out of curiosity you have the custom device type and the custom SmartApp installed right? Also your TV and ST hub are on the same network (IP range)?