[Deprecated] EchoSistant v4.5

In the top right hand corner of your screen, what is the location?

There is no “Add Slot Type” in the Interaction Model field. Did I make a wrong turn?

In the Customs Slots, type the name of the first one.

I am having the same problem as mamouLA (Alexa skills doesn’t show up in the triggers list on aws lambda).

For me it says Ohio up top.

I switched it to N.Virginia and it worked!

I now see Alexa skills Kit in the triggers list.

The Alexa Skills Kit is only available on certain AWS Servers. I do not know which ones exactly, but I know the N.Virginia one works.

I have followed the instructions and nothing seemed to go wrong. However when I try to invoke a command “Alexa tell zoes house to turn on the bedroom”, where zoes house is the name of the profile I added in the last step of the instructions, and bedroom is the name of a smart bulb that works through smart things and Alexa (and is listed in my device list in AWS), the reply I get from Alexa is “there was a problem with the requested skill’s response”. This doesn’t happen if I swap out “zoes house” with some other name, so it’s clearly activating the skill. Any idea what could be wrong?

The only point in which your instructions seemed to have a gap is that this list of slots:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/BamaRayne/Echosistant/master/smartapps/echo/AWS_Files/MainCustomSlots

Is missing the “LIST_OF_SYSTEM_CONTROLS”

I got around this gap by adding in a few system commands from the list I could see in the screenshot, but obviously that’s incomplete.

On the wiki page, under section “Child Apps - Install” under part 8 it says "press ctrl+p to paste" - P is for print, it should say Ctrl+V.

Also, can anyone share some real world examples as to why this is useful for you? I think I like this, but it’s cumbersome to install, and I don’t yet understand why I would need it. It’s fun and I want an excuse to use it - please share your use cases. Thanks :slight_smile:

Good catch on this. It’s updated and much appreciated.

As for real world examples
 well
 you can do just about anything with it. This version introduced the comprehensive shortcuts.

Here’s an example

I have a “Goodnight” shortcut. It turns off all of my lights downstairs and outside, it makes sure the garage door is closed. It arms my SHM and turns off all of my fans. it adjust the downstairs thermostat to my desired levels and adjust the upstairs thermostat as well. it turns on my bed lamps to 10%. It also changes the SmartThings mode to Sleep
 and some other stuff I can’t remember right now
 lol.

I have a virtual switch created that is seen by Alexa. This virtual switch is the trigger for my goodnight shortcut.

In the native Alexa app I have a routine, “Good Night”. All it does is turn on that virtual switch.

So, when I’m ready for bed I just say, Alexa, Good Night. And that shortcut is executed. I can also say, Alexa, tell my home good night. Or I can just manually turn on the switch in my mobile app.

Another example
 Movie Time.

I have a shortcut that changes my AV over to the blu-ray and adjust my lights. I have it triggered two ways. I can say, Alexa, it’s movie time. Or, I can just turn on my blu-ray and 4 minutes later the shortcut is automatically run. When the blu-ray turns off, the lights adjust back to what they were before and adjusts the AV back to regular TV.

You can do all kinds of things
 Taking a nap? Make a shortcut for your bedroom and say, Alexa, I’m taking a nap. Then when you wake up, say Alexa, I’m awake. And it runs another shortcut.

Pretty much, just use your imagination.

2 Likes

Hi Jason

when you say “explore the profile” do you mean the profile examples on wiki im afraid im out of my depth here. ( not looking for any sympathy) but suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage a couple of years back and since then have great difficulties in processing information, i mange fine with visual aids screenshots etc like the installation guide you wrote and once ive been shown something i tend to get it.

lets say i have a smartthing device called floorlamp and one called Display unit and they are in the living Room which is the name of my profile intent skill created during installation , say i wish to ask Alexa to turn on floorlamp and get the response back " is there anything else and i say turn of display unit . how would i configure the smart app to do this,

Jim

Hi Jason

sorry i added this to someone else thread/post by mistake

when you say “explore the profile” do you mean the profile examples on wiki im afraid im out of my depth here. ( not looking for any sympathy) but suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage a couple of years back and since then have great difficulties in processing information, i mange fine with visual aids screenshots etc like the installation guide you wrote and once ive been shown something i tend to get it.

lets say i have a smartthing device called floorlamp and one called Display unit and they are in the living Room which is the name of my profile intent skill created during installation , say i wish to ask Alexa to turn on floorlamp and get the response back " is there anything else and i say turn of display unit . how would i configure the smart app to do this,

Jim

Brand new to EchoSistant today, but it is up and working for me. I can tell there has been a lot of work put into it. Thanks for making it available to everybody. I do have a couple of questions that may show my lack of experience.

I can’t get it to give me feedback on specific lights or specific doors. If I ask it what lights are on or what doors are open it will tell me how many and ask if I want to know which ones. I thought I should be able to ask about a specific light or door by name. Is that not the case?

Also, do I have to create an AWS intent skill for every control profile I create in the app? Are these control profiles just intended to group devices together, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

Great work on this, just wondering if anyone has any ideas, I have Hive and when asking alexa ‘it’s cold downstairs’ she responds with ‘turning the heating to 60 degrees’ and will turn hive to the highest it will go (34 degrees celcius) regardless of the default values set within the smartapp
 I’m from the UK.

Cheers,

Are there any plans to port EchoSistant also to other languages, such as German? If so, I’d love to help. From what I saw in the code, it’s currently not really designed to be multi language
?

That would be pretty massive undertaking. There is no easy way to support additional languages other than to duplicate the existing text in german. This is very likely going to take the app passed the allow compile size :frowning:

1 Like

How do you use profiles in Echosistant. I have multiple light switches in multiple rooms. Do I set one profile for my home and assign everything to that profile or do I setup a profile for each room/group of light switches that I want to control individually? What about one off things like a garage door or whatever, do I set a profile for all those devices individually? I am just not sure how Echosistant is using profiles and what they are used for exactly.

Big thanks to the guys who developed this, sunk in some time to get this installed, just want to see does anyone else have an issue with pin restriction? I can change it within the smartapp and it works, but as soon as I put ‘only if Mode = away’ it will always prompt for a pin even though the smartapp shows Mode is home from the menu.

Cheers,

I must be missing something because I went to upgrade to 4.5, today, and when I look at the code from the Wiki page, it all is in 4.0.x. I see nothing 4.5.

all of the code in the github repo is up to date with 4.5. don’t worry about looking for version numbers.

I’m having a bit of an issue with commands and not sure where I went wrong as some due appear to work.

I have a profile named front. The name is front, the invocation name is front. In the interaction model both spots say front as well. On EchoSistant in SmartThings I have a profile named front. The Feedback and Control section has Device Control Groups configured with my 3 smart bulbs out front grouped in the Group Dimmers and Switches section.

If I tell front turn on the lights, they come on. I can say dim after that, and they dim. But if I say it’s too dark, I get the error ‘Sorry, you must first set up your profile before trying to execute it. , would you like anything else?’ I thought I read that I could say that phrase and brighten the lights, and if I just say brighten it works
 What am I missing?

The log says it’s finding front from what I can tell

f4df8a45-0437-4229-b8f0-7fd53573120f 11:09:59 AM: info I have received this from the Lambda: Sorry, you must first set up your profile before trying to execute it.
f4df8a45-0437-4229-b8f0-7fd53573120f 11:09:59 AM: warn childRelease = Profile: R.0.4.5
f4df8a45-0437-4229-b8f0-7fd53573120f 11:09:59 AM: debug Found a profile: 'front’
f4df8a45-0437-4229-b8f0-7fd53573120f 11:09:59 AM: debug Messaging Profile Data: (ptts) = ‘it’s too dark’, (pintentName) = 'front’
f4df8a45-0437-4229-b8f0-7fd53573120f 11:09:59 AM: debug Launch Data: (event) = ‘front’, (Lambda version) = ‘4.0.0’, (Lambda release) = ‘R.0.4.0’, (ST Main App release) = 'R.0.4.5’
f4df8a45-0437-4229-b8f0-7fd53573120f 11:09:59 AM: debug ^^^^_LAUNCH REQUEST^^^^
f4df8a45-0437-4229-b8f0-7fd53573120f 11:09:40 AM: info I have received this from the Lambda: Ok, adjusting the lights in the front
f4df8a45-0437-4229-b8f0-7fd53573120f 11:09:40 AM: warn childRelease = Profile: R.0.4.5
f4df8a45-0437-4229-b8f0-7fd53573120f 11:09:40 AM: debug Found a profile: 'front’
f4df8a45-0437-4229-b8f0-7fd53573120f 11:09:40 AM: debug Messaging Profile Data: (ptts) = ‘dim’, (pintentName) = 'front’
f4df8a45-0437-4229-b8f0-7fd53573120f 11:09:39 AM: debug Launch Data: (event) = ‘front’, (Lambda version) = ‘4.0.0’, (Lambda release) = ‘R.0.4.0’, (ST Main App release) = 'R.0.4.5’
f4df8a45-0437-4229-b8f0-7fd53573120f 11:09:39 AM: debug ^^^^_LAUNCH REQUEST^^^^

What EXACTLY are you saying to Alexa with this command?