My WiFi hub downloads and uploads about 50-100MB of data every 3 hours like clockwork to the tune of 500MB/day. I don’t have anything else on the network (its in my RV). I only have 3 multisensors and a motion sensor attached. I don’t have auto-update turned on. Having the app open on my phone makes no difference nor does having it armed or not. I have read lots of posts on the subject but haven’t found any fixes. All firmware is up to date. Any ideas? Thanks.
@Brad_ST, here is another high data usage topic without any explanation.
@Ttrain, have a look at this topic, might help identify something:
I read that post and it didn’t seem to come to any conclusions. I have rebooted a zillion times. What is even in a 50-100MB download exactly every six hours? I can maybe understand if its uploading sensor data to the cloud. Since I installed the hub in my RV for use mostly on cellular I can’t be using this much data. I ordered a Hubitat that will arrive tomorrow so I’ll see how that works out. I have had ST in my house for 5+ years but so I never really focused on its data usage.
The graph shows every six hours. I have seen mention of Plume doing automatic ISP speed tests every six hours. Is that a feature the WiFi hub has?
You’ve made me a dejavu. A few month ago a user was telling a similar story of using a Hub in an RV or in a weekend house on mobile data plan, and the usage is too much.
What is the model number of the hub?
If it’s the newest WiFi mesh version, the one that uses Plume (ET-WV525), then as @orangebucket mentioned it could be a Plume internal check. In that case, check with Plume support as SmartThings support is generally clueless about Plume features.
Another possibility is that it’s a hub firmware update that is failing and so restarting again periodically. What’s the firmware level?
This was the similar issue what I just mentioned:
A new hub firmware update is scheduled to be pushed to wifi hubs on Nov. 4, 2020
I found a toggle inside Plume “Auto-run ISP Speed Tests”. I toggled it off so we’ll see what happens but I suspect that was the problem! I am confident that is the issue as I read it runs every few hours. This is why I love support boards. Thanks OB!
This is what I was going to recommend checking. My understanding is that the auto-run speed test is supposed to occur automatically if Plume detects performance issues. If that doesn’t help, let us know.
It was indeed the auto-run speed test setting in Plume. My data usage is back down to negligible all day. Seems that is a setting in Plume that should default to “off”. Based on the numbers I observed, that could add up to 15GB/month of data!