Current Device Deals & Best Prices (link to new thread at bottom of thread)

Since you have to use the handheld remote you don’t need to say ‘Alexa’. Other than not saying Alexa the command set is exactly the same as the Echo device.

“Turn off the bedroom light” turns off the bedroom light. :smile:

Is this what you were asking?

Sorry, typo… What hardware is required? Is there an “ok” feedback? Does it work if the tv is off?

All you need is the new FireTV stick or FireTV with voice remote. (The stick with voice remote is currently on sale at Amazon for $34.99). This plugs into the USB port on the TV and has a power cord that needs to be plugged into the wall. The TV does have to be on, I was hoping this wasn’t the case as well but it makes sense. There is an okay response. The interaction, so far, has been exactly the same as the Echo device. It will also let you search for movies and such with voice commands.

1 Like

The Fire Stick plugs into an HDMI port on the TV.

Doesn’t the Fire TV box also connect to the TV via HDMI, not USB?

You are correct, it plugs into the HDMI port, I misspoke. They both look the same does it really matter? :smile:

Some devices plug into HDMI and then plug into USB for power.

Actually, I believe it plugs into the HDMI port and the power cord into the wall with a 2amp USB port. So, if you didn’t care about the “Okay” response, will it still work with just power only and not plugged into a HDMI port? After all, if lights turn off or on, there’s is no need to hear the audio feedback.

I haven’t tried this but I don’t think so. The device won’t work unless the TV is on.

It’s because your tv doesn’t send power to the sub ports unless it’s on. Technically plugging this into a usb charger and no tv at all after its set up should allow it to work. I may pick one of these up just to play around with. I’ve been hesitant to buy the echo because I really don’t think I’d get my money’s worth out of it.

Also, I wonder if this just works for the Fire TV and not the Fire TV Stick.

Edit - I called Amazon and they said it works with both.

The Alexa features work with both.

As far as being plugged into the HDMI port. From the little testing I have done in about 10 minutes I have determined that the Fire Stick will work when not plugged into the HDMI port with a caveat. You have to boot it up plugged into the TV first, then you can unplug it and have it function. If you unplug it and plug it back in without being plugged into an HDMI port the device doesn’t boot. Also you don’t get any feedback, the Echo device does not respond to FireTV Alexa requests and since you have no speakers available it can’t respond.

Do you have a harmony hub? Can you program the mic button from your Fire TV remote on your harmony app on your phone and use the mic on your phone? I’m sure the answer is no, just thought I’d ask.

I don’t have a Harmony hub so I have no idea.

I have an older Fire TV - wonder if it would control the lights also? Did you have to do anything in the Echo app initially? Is it a skill you have to turn on?

I have heard rumors that they will add Echo support to the older versions of FireTV but I’m not sure if that’s true. You would have to research it.

As far as configuration goes I didn’t have to do anything. I already had and Echo and I ordered the Fire TV though my Prime account. It was all setup and configured in the Echo app when I received it. Amazon pre-configured it for me.

3 Likes

I found this deal on another forum…

Nest 3rd generation Learning Thermostat is on sale for $199.00 at Microcenter.com [microcenter.com]

Many other retailers have it at $250 with a $50 gift card to their store but Microcenter.com has it for $199 without need for a giftcard

YOU MAY ALSO HAVE HOME DEPOT, LOWES , ETC PRICEMATCH THIS DEAL (which i have already done) BECAUSE IT IS AVAILABLE AND IN STOCK at microcenter.com

PLUS, YOU WILL STILL RECEIVE THE $50 GIFT CARD TO THE STORE YOU CHOOSE AS PART OF THE PROMO! (i did lowes)

They possibly will also beat the $199 price per their 10% pricematch guarantee but this is ONLY if the item is IN STOCK AT THE STORE YOU PICK UP FROM.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/452914/Learning_Thermostat?lat=37.1705397&long=-93.2555881

2 Likes

Aeon Smart Metering Switch $20

Enter coupon code “Cybership” For free shipping.

1 Like

The older Firestick shows up in the Alexa app, I actually tried to connect the echo remote up to it because I don’t ever use the echo remote and it didn’t work, So I got a voice Firestick.

Also here’s a foot deal on a 7 scene switch. Not sure if it works with smartthings but for the price I got 2.

Enerwave ZWN-SC7-W Z-Wave Wireless 7-Button Scene Controller, 120V/227VAC 50/60Hz Frequency: 908.42MHz W/ Two Free Wall Plates, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RY4LP5Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_scUwwbAPCCEB6

Ahhh boo… They are sold out of the Aeon Smart Switch… I was going to get a couple.

1 Like

Sorry for being late to the show . Mail was late today ( being Sunday and all) .

Got the FireTv box set up ,once it updated software on voice remote and box all HA commands seem to be working , Including Harmony.
I will also add that upgrading from Gen 1 Firestick to the Gen 2 FireTV is like going from DVD to Blu-ray as far as picture quality. .

I can also confirm that it all works ( without the confirmation feedback) when your TV is NOT on the FireTV input. I switched TV back to Tivo via FireTV voice and was still able to control other HA commands. I did notice that I need to change my Prime ( old Harmony activity to switch TV to FireStick input) since it now initiates Echo playing Prime playlist of her choice and “TV” was already discussed as being dead. Although my TV switch does still work as part of my " House" group to terminate current Harmony activity ,shut everything off through IFTT. I just can’t use “turn off TV” voice command.
Sidenote is that I think I have a problem when the 8port network switch in my entertainment center is now full going from Firestick WiFi connection to Cat6 connection for new FireTV.

1 Like

The Enerwave SC7 won’t work out of the box with SmartThings, you’ll need the following community created device type:

Please post any follow-up questions in that thread to keep this topic specific to deals. :sunglasses: