Cost effective door/window sensors (UK)

@a4refillpad bloody hell. Battery companies are going to make a fortune out of us :slight_smile:

Ironically the one closer to my hub is the bad one, the one on the other side of the house is fine.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. In the end I binned the two faulty ones and ordered one more to try. That came a couple of days ago and despite a bit of pfaffing about (I couldn’t get it to work either to start with, but then suddenly did start responding to the magnet!!!) its working OK now. Put it on my garage door where the one failed after 24 hours so we’ll see. Was working fine this morning.

2 Likes

I’ve been following the Orvibo threads for some weeks now as I’ve struggled to keep them running consistently and have been making adjustments based on what others have found.
I can definitely agree with A4refillpad, the battery life for this sensor seems to be rubbish. However, I am beginning to wonder if the device itself is inconsistent - I’ve one sensor that is still running, like a Duracell bunny, but it has the original Chinese cheap battery - and I’ve two other sensors that have just discharged their Duracell batteries in less than a week! Most of the other sensors I’ve replaced with Duracell and they are working for the moment - but I have little confidence they will keep working!
Range is also a problem so I’ve been building up my mesh. Economically it is getting to a point that the extra repeaters are cancelling out the lower cost of the sensors!

@Doctair the way your contact sensors have and haven’t consumed battery power is the exact experience I;ve had.

But I’ve encountered no issues with the motion sensors.

I had one that played up, drained two batteries in a matter of days, I then left it alone and a couple of days later put a new battery in and then re-added it to ST. All are fine now. Agreed, all very odd!

I’ve ordered two of these: http://www.banggood.com/ORVIBO-Alarm-Mini-WiFi-Smart-Door-Window-Sensor-Home-System-Remote-Control-p-1027134.html

They integrated without issue using the device handler here: [RELEASE] Orvibo Contact Sensor

Welcome to the community @rootomatic, unclear why you’re telling us this?

Don’t know if this is against forum rules, but I have three of those sensors in perfect shape that I am putting up for sale.
I am unable to get them to work completely on my US v1 hub (see above). They do connect and exchange data, but open/close events are not working, probably due to the age of the hub, everyone else here uses a UK v2 hub AFAIK. And since I am moving towards a full Z-Wave solution anyway (probably not via ST, their mainland europe roll-out is taking way too long), I have decided to “give them away”. The board says: Door Sensor v0.5 2015-11-27.

Send me a PM or leave a note on this forum. Make me an offer. I’m OK with about half price plus postage from France (which is where they are now).

Hi, I’ve found one article that seems to indicate little to no difference between brands and capacity of cr2032 coin cells. May save a few pennies to stick with cheaper brands going forward.

Hi, thanks for the welcome. I just wanted to add some recent info for anyone looking for cost effective door/windows sensors. They were around £16.65 delivered to the UK and integrated after adding the correct device handler. Took about 2 weeks after ordering mid-July.

I notice that he graph only shows big brands.

I’ve noticed a HUGE difference with cheap/unknown brands. But that’s anecdotal, of course rather than data points!

Yes you’re right. Until now though I’ve pretty much only bought duracell and Panasonic. I’ve now bought some cheap 10 packs of maxells. Time will tell if there’s any real difference! Even if they are only half as good will save a lot of money at this rate!

Even Maxell is a known brand. It’s some of the unpronounceable / pound shop / etc. batteries that I’ve found expire more quickly.

P.

1 Like

@hb020 If you still have them I may be interested. Please let me know if you do and how much you want for them.

@KellyDarren I have one Orvibo motion sensor and it gives false alerts at least three times per day. Unfortunately the sensor is in Spain so I cant easily pop over to check it out. Ill take a look next week but wondering if I need to reset the sensor.

We need to be careful positioning motion sensors that are used in ST. I’ve had to move quite a few by trial and error to stop false alarms happening. Draughts, sensors facing walls hit by strong sunlight, open fireplaces, south facing windows are just some of the reasons I’ve found for them. It seems to me most motion sensors used in HA are designed for speed rather than accuracy unlike those used for burglar alarms.
BTW I’ve no experience of the orvibo motion sensors though… maybe they’re even more susceptible to false alarms? Anyone else with more experience with them compared to standard ST ones? I was considering getting some.

@a4refillpad, I have two but havent used them to any great extent. However when I’ve armed the house via ST they have not provided any false information to trigger the alarm.

I’m planning on configuring one with CORE to trigger lights so that be put it under more intensive testing. I’ll report back.

1 Like

Well that didn’t last long. Noticed yesterday that all my Orvibo sensors have stopped working. The original one no longer reacts to the magnet, nor do the others. Lights still flash but moving it to/from the magnet yeilds no response.

I’m done with these now, wasted enough time and money on them and I just need something that works :frowning:

Do you happen to have osram bulbs connected directly to smartthings BTW?

No, this is currently my only addition to my smartthings starter kit