Comming from Lowes Iris - Is there a guide?

Hi, I need to get moving on switching to SmartThings ASAP. deadline is just around the corner. I have been swamped with work and personal life and have yet to have the time to learn the new system and what is all needed.

I am hoping someone has had success and has been able to do a write up or willing to do one since I don’t have time right now.

Of the Iris items I have
1x Version 3 of keypad
21x Version 2 contacts
5x Version 2 plugs
1x version 1 button (known to not be compatible with ST) Already have a ST Button

I also have
9x GE zwave switches / dimmers
1x Honeywell Thermostat
4x SCH Zwave Deadbolts
2x Utilitech Glass Break Sensors
2x Utilitech Water Leak Sensors
2x Utilitech Sirens
1x LeakSmart Shut-off Valve
5x First Alert Smoke/Carbon Detectors

The most important part right off hand is the Alarm side. I think the rest if fairly straight forward for adding the other items in.

I have
Alexa speakers (I was told they could be used with the alarm to notification announcements)
ST hub ver3 (on battery backup) (along with router and internet on batter backup)
1x ST Button
1x ST Plug

So if someone can tell me how to setup ST so I can use my iris keypad for an alarm and my contacts to sound my alarm, and Alexa for an audible sound when arming / disarmed and opening of contacts.
Also would like to have 15-30 seconds when arming to leave / entering to disarm.

Also is there a way to have the system call me when the system alarm is triggered? (I have google Voice also if that helps)

Thanks so much for your help. Just in a bind with time currently and need to switch before we go on vacation.

Welcome! :sunglasses:

It’s just a brief introduction, but the following FAQ might help. The topic title is a clickable link.

3 Likes

There are also some IRIS migration threads you might enjoy reading

2 Likes

After you read JD and JKP’s links, here are a couple of other thoughts specific to your requests. If you have questions related to specific devices, searching the forum by model number will usually get you what you need. There’s always someone else who’s already tried it.

• Smart Home Monitor (SHM) is the built-in solution for a self-monitored alarm. There are caveats about reliability, dependency on your internet connection and ST’s operating status, etc. when compared to a “real” alarm system like the ADT ST hub, but for many of us the basic option provides sufficient peace of mind. Keep in mind that there are two apps, as JD’s link explains, and they have separate implementations of SHM. If you arm from one app, you can’t disarm in the other.
  • Here’s a thread about the Orbit timer, which has at least basic functionality in ST. I don’t have one but I considered getting one so I read up on it; my sense is that the reliability of receiving commands is not great so people have written DTHs which send the command repeatedly to try and make sure it goes through.
  • You need to prepare your devices before you connect them to ST. For Z-wave, remove them via your Iris hub before taking it offline, or use the General Exclude command in ST to clear their network settings before re-adding them. For Zigbee, perform a factory reset.
  • If you connect your hub to Amazon Echo, you can have contact sensors trigger announcements via Alexa Routines.
  • Here’s a way to get phone calls (via IFTTT) if SHM is triggered. The description is for a smoke alert but you can set up a similar action for intrusion detection.
  • Here’s one (free) option for setting up SHM entry/exit delay using the Classic app. You can find others with a search.
5 Likes

In addition all the cool stuff above you may also want to check out some of these apps which can take advantage of your v3 keypads features:

Device handler to use your keypad: [RELEASE] Enhanced ZigBee Keypad - Centralite Keypad, Lowes IRIS Keypad, UEI Keypad and Xfinity Keypad Device Handler

A security app to replace SHM security module or use in conjunction with SHM along with a keypad: [RELEASE] Security System: Intruder Alert with Actions - Entry Delay, Exit Delay, Countdowns, Keypads, Lights, Alarms, Pictures/Cameras, Routines

A lock manager which can be used with keypads and other apps: [RELEASE] Lock User Management - Door lock code manager (create, delete and schedule codes) with automatic lock/unlock, custom user actions and SHM/ADT integration

An app to leverage your Alexa setup to create custom notifications and also use your keypad as a chime: [RELEASE] Door Chimes and Notifications for Doorbells and Sensors