Changing the default color action of my garage door buttons

I find the button color change to be counter intuitive for my garage doors. I feel they should be gray/neutral when closed and green when open similar to the default color action of switches. Any way to change the default color action? Currently using a Ecolink Z-Wave Wireless Tilt Sensor and Linear FS20Z-1 Z-Wave in Wall Fixture Module to get the job done.

You could create a custom device type that could do this.

Unfortunately that is beyond my level of expertise. I was hoping that this was an easy fix as is seems so counter intuitive to have it function this way. I know how to add device types and am pretty comfortable making changes in the script with the appropriate guidance but it is way to daunting with no knowledge of what to do or change. Anyone know why the color action works this way?

Green is “Go” (Good)

Red/Orange is “Bad” (Stop)

1 Like

Maybe it is just me but I see it as green is go or on and grey is Off/Neutral or no action needed just like the switches. Agree with Red/Orange as bad or action needed. When I look at a number of items I look for consistency and green just doesn’t look right to me when the switches act the way they do. Different brains think differently I guess.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you. Both logical consclusions make sense here :smile:

I’ve done this before and while it works, there is a draw back… if changes are made to the default device type your custom device type will NOT get those updates. I had some device types that stopped working right because ST made some internal changes. It wasn’t a huge deal… have to delete my custom type and re-create it again, but it is something to be aware of.

I’m going to disagree with you there Paulo! This is actually a very easy thing to do if you’ve worked with ST code even a little bit.

However, if you’ve never worked with ST code before, this is still something that can be done with some simple instructions.

What’s your level of ability at:

Have you logged into the SmartThings IDE at all?

Have you used anyone else’s shared programs yet? That is: Have you copied someone’s code and put in into a SmartApp that you published for yourself?

Have you created your own SmartApp?

Can this be accomplished by simply copying the code from the device handler and changing the background color hex values under the appropriate standard tile states?

Chrisb, thanks for the encouragement and the answer is yes to everything but creating my own SmartApp.

You’re right on the money there Paulo! Just copy the existing device type code, create a new device type, and edit those Hex #'s. Save, and Publish!

Then you need to open up your device (Device List → click on device name), click edit at the bottom, open up the drop down list by *type, and scroll to the bottom. Select your new device and that should do it.

Thanks, now I know what I will be doing during the next snow storm.

Post back here if you run into issues and I or someone else can help you through it.

1 Like

So changing the hex numbers was easy and got me 1/3 of the way there. Anyone know if there is a way to access the shortcut switches color and dashboard color or is that standardized by the developers? If I can’t standardize all the colors I may as well leave them alone.

Hmm… didn’t think of that actually. I’m not sure if there is an easy way to do that at all. I rarely look at those myself so I guess it didn’t enter my head.

@paulo I believe Green indicates that everything is “OKAY”, as in everything is locked. “red” will call out the attention that your door is unlocked.

However, I have passed this message on to the team as feedback.

Cheers,

Thanks April. It may be just me but I like consistency when looking at a screen and grey/no color just says no action needed and everything is off. Maybe others can chime in here with there preference for green or neutral but if there was a way for me to customize it all the better. I don’t want to turn this into a big deal as the team has more important things to focus on.

Surely! But all feedback is good feedback ;). I’ll have to admit, I bugged Tyler and said “yea! Why is it GREEN!?” until he told me the purpose too.

So I can, personally, not behalf of ST, say, I had the same line of thought as you did. :slight_smile: