Change AirPlay system when moving between rooms?

Can SmartThings help me?

I’m thinking about purchasing a SmartThings hub and some SmartSense motion sensors to start my home automation journey. Part of my automation plan includes the ability to “move” my music with me as I move around different rooms in my house. I’d like my home to be smart enough to detect what room I’ve just entered and route my music to the appropriate stereo. For instance, I’d like to automatically send my music to the upstairs stereo when I walk into my bedroom and switch to the downstairs stereo when I walk into the kitchen. This way, I wouldn’t have to break out my iPhone and switch the stereo manually every time.

I understand that SmartThings works with SONOS music systems and the appropriate rules for doing this could probably be established with IFTTT, but I currently own two AirPlay systems and would really like to avoid reinvesting in SONOS right now. Can anyone please tell me if I could get this working with AirPlay rather than SONOS?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Sarah

Good idea, but there’s currently no AirPlay integration I’m aware of.

EDIT:

Oh, wait there actually is one (3rd party though)

geko, I found that article too, and it seems that the solution described requires the use of iTunes on a Mac. Because I don’t have a Mac, I’m looking for something that lets me use the simple AirPlay setting on my iPhone to send the music to whatever destination I like.

One thing to keep in mind about SmartThings that it can only communicate with the devices in your home through the hub, i.e. using either Zigbee or Z-Wave or (with some limitations) HTTP. It cannot communicate with your phone. That’s how Sonos integration works too - the hub talks to the Sonos speaker using HTTP.

If you set up motion sensors you could use the smart lighting app to control your airplay speakers as lights, I set mine up using this Multiroom airplay through airfoil with smartthings, home kit, android wear, logitech harmony and Alex control - is this integration?

Another multi step system, this time for iTunes and Spotify via Smartthings…Multiroom airplay through airfoil with smartthings, home kit, android wear, logitech harmony and Alex control - is this integration?