SmartThings Community

CES 2017 (general discussion thread)

iotfuture
iotindustry

(Andrew) #41

This is new:

So if you were waiting on a v2 hub, or TV integration, you could get this instead.

(Geko) #42

Everything points to SmartThings falling out of favor with Samsung. Notice that all recently announced integrations are with third-party devices and services. No new integrations with Samsung-branded devices. Even those that were announced last year are all but scrapped. I won’t be surprised if Samsung will be looking to spin off SmartThings or offload it to the highest bidder in the near future.

(Patrick Stuart [@pstuart]) #43

More like boxee. Absorb the key engineers, and can the rest. Kill off base product and rely on others for hardware. As seen by the stealth announcement of nvidia shield as a hub integration.

Many conflicting reports on what exactly the Nvidia device is going to have. There are no details officially released.

One set of journalist reports says that it will include hardware that will be the equivalent of a smartthings hub.

But another set of journalist reports says that the SmartThings integration will be through the Google assistant which they are adding to android TV.

Since it also features Google Assistant, it is also compatible with Samsung’s SmartThings platform, letting you control your smart home.

If the first group is right, this becomes a hub replacement. But if the second group is right, you would still need a SmartThings hub.

Has anybody seen an official Nvidia announcement that clarifies this? It’s a big difference.

(Patrick Stuart [@pstuart]) #45

Nvidia press release stated it would be able to act as a hub and control devices.

I know, but a lot of people say the echo “acts as a hub.” It doesn’t have a Z wave radio.

And “hub” is a term to get used a lot with regard to home theaters, when what they really mean is “control center.”

I’m not saying it won’t have radios in it, I just haven’t seen any engineering specs that say it will,

And the same official release said that there would be an over the air update to existing Nvidia shield devices that would give them all of the new features except hands-free listening. If that’s true, no radios.

But we’ll see.

(Patrick Stuart [@pstuart]) #47

Just confirmed it will support the USB extend dongle to enable hub radios. Nvidia shield plus USB extend equals a new hub.

Thanks for checking. Very interesting! Just as interesting that this wasn’t a big SmartThings announcement…

(Patrick Stuart [@pstuart]) #49

Yeah, it also means that the extend USB support for Samsung TVs will probably launch after Nvidia Shield TV support… Hmmmmm, wonder if it really is that easy to develop on Tizen vs Android (Shield runs android tv)?

(Kevin) #50

Can confirm @pstuart statment. Have a friend sitting in a demo with Nvidia right now txt’ing me. He sees the usb stick right in front of him… I was like, well you are probably the only person seeing one lol

(Kevin) #51

Got my friend to take a quick little sneaky snap… I mean it is a presser so its not like its meant to be secret.

(Jimmy) #52

i was about to say, the spec sheet on their website only lists wifi, Bluetooth and Captive portal support. No z-wave or zigbee radios.

Yeah, they’re solving that with the dongle which has both a zigbee radio and a zwave radio.

BTW, Nortek had a nearly identical dongle out before the SmartThings extend.

(Neal (www.zebrablinds.com / www.zebrablinds.ca)) #54

If this works as intended I might replace my ST hub with a shield.

(Kevin) #55

I mean i like the idea…cause I could reduce one hub, and replace a firetv. But at the same time I’d be more worried about end of life on that product. Even for a ‘soft’ launch of a product…this is the softest. Is it really out or not…why are other devs ‘partnering’ and we cant buy it, nor is the parent company really doing anything with the extend. So I dont know. Seems like a pipe dream. And I’d have to migrate to a stick, have it go EOL, and have to migrate to another hub…probably without a migration assistant. And im still on a v1 hub…

(Lee Hardacre) #56

Isn’t the USB extend limited by way of devices it can connect to?

The extend page states ‘selected devices’ which turns out to be quite small!

The page that you’re referring to is specific to the Extend->Samsung TV integration which is currently in closed beta.

We have not made any announcements about device compatibility for any other Extend integrations.

(Andrew) #58

Let’s call this what it is. A good look to the future. When the ST Hub went version 2, it created a more modular design where the “Hub software” is running on an OS that has an interface to some radios. The OS no longer matters, especially if you are putting it into a container, think docker. And that is where STs has the real intellectual property. Then all you need is the radios, here is the extend stick. I see them moving to a subscription to connect to the buisness end of the ST infrastructure, and you can pick what ever HW you have to run the local communcation. then plug in the extend or other future supported radio stick and you are rolling.

Since the paired zwave/zigbee radio is in a stick and the hub would be a container… move your stick and digitally move the container, migration over.

What do yall think?

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #59

I think you are right.

Personally, I think margins on the Hub hardware are far too low to justify SmartThings as a business (I’ve said this many times). Sales of sensors and other end-point hardware have higher margins but a lot of competition.

So the potential revenue is in the “platform” … i.e., the cloud, the services, support, etc… Currently the cloud is “free for life”. That rules out all revenue except data sales and add-on services.

So … fee based cloud? More likely than not. Or call it 50/50. Dunno.

Rather don’t care. Why am I posting anyway. Yawn.

I think that’s what they’ve already done with the SAMIio/Artik/SmartThings Cloud

https://news.samsung.com/us/2016/04/27/samsung-announces-commercially-available-iot-cloud-platform-deliver-interoperability-devices-applications/

The question has always been How/if the current hub platform fits into that.